Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2023 07:00

Optiplex 980 Wake on LAN with PCIe NIC

Has anyone successfully set up magic packet Wake-On-LAN (WoL) with a PCIe NIC on a minitower Optiplex 980?

I'm running the latest BIOS, A18.  WoL works fine with the motherboard NIC.  However, I'm unable to get it work with an Intel 82576-based PCIe NIC which supports WoL.  The PCIe NIC is configured for WoL (confirmed with nmcli and ethtool on this Ubuntu box).  I've confirmed that the NIC remains powered up and connected when the machine is "off," as seen from the ethernet switch that it connects to.  This is the NIC.  It works well with the exception of WoL.

Guessing that this is an issue with the Optiplex 980 not allowing PCIe devices to wake the machine.  I've looked through the BIOS for a related setting and haven't been able to find one.

My workaround for now is to use the motherboard NIC solely for WoL (it's otherwise disabled in the OS), and the PCIe NIC once the machine is booted.

Thanks in advance.

4 Posts

February 3rd, 2023 18:00

Solved.  

WoL works with the PCIe NIC.  The issue was that I was using 802.3ad bonding for the NIC's two interfaces.  WoL does not work in that configuration.  That's likely an issue with the switch I was using.  802.3ad worked fine otherwise between the switch and PC.

Switching to Ubuntu's Adaptive Load Balancing for the bond allowed WoL to work in a bonded configuration.

No Events found!