Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

3 Posts

May 26th, 2018 09:00

Optiplex 990, No boot device found

Hi, i just got this pc yesterday and recently found out that it came with a Disk that was to install a windows 10 pro 64 bit. However, when i tried i remove all my files when it asked to keep my files or remove all. After i did i ran into problems, so i panicked and tryed to reload my windows 7 32 bit. But now im stuck everytime i turn the pc on it says "No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility Press F5 to run onboard dagnostics." I've seen other forums but they involve the BIOS.When i bought the pc and did everything i could i realized that it did not come with BIOS{which had to be downloaded manually} I am now confused.

Please help!!!

2.3K Posts

May 26th, 2018 12:00

I would insert windows 10 dvd into the drive and see if you can boot off of that directly, then re-install windows 10. If you do not have a disc for drivers you may have to download them for Windows 10.

3 Posts

May 26th, 2018 14:00

I can enter windows 10 disk directly but the problem is that it said my windows hard drive or something like that is locked. Another problem is that i can't launch onto windows 7, like it won't load at all and when i tried it said "no bootable devices"

3 Posts

May 26th, 2018 14:00

I also think i accidently removed the disk partion when i pressed remove all files for the windows 10 disk

February 17th, 2020 02:00

HI All I am completely stumped with this one!

So the scenario is I have purchased a New 6TB WD Hard drive & save downtime I have installed windows 10 on a HP Compaq 8200 Elite PC and configured it they way I wanted it with my programs features etc

However When I unplug the hard drive and put into into the Dell Optilex 990 and try booting from it I get select boot device failed . I don't understand why it boots fine in the HP Compaq I plugged it back in and has booted fine

My Bios setting is set to UEFI and the sata option is AHCI

Please help My currently bootable 1TB hard drive is almost out of space and running very slowly

Thank you in Advance

D

2.5K Posts

February 17th, 2020 03:00

sure the 6TB is a problem booting , for sure,    2TB limit on MBR formats,(varies by cluster size picked)

A 6TB drive must  be setup as GPT boot,,  to boot.. 

if you install w10-64 it knows what to do, it  will in fact set it to GPT format, for sure..

what next matters is how to set stinky BIOS<  did you upgrade BIOS first?  so it is smarter? and might work...

Dell does not document BIOS in a PRO way fully, but in fact there are great youtube videos that do that.

the key things to get right are:  (safeboot, fast boot , secure boot and TPM(dont turn this on)

safeboot off so dvd and usb can boot.. and install. 

I guess you  need to turn on secure boot, so GPT can be built  by the w10 installer..

new RTC coin cell is due.

I get lost reading your post, sorry , what all that OS and HDD swapping deals, totally lost.(it's ok, I think i see now)

but I guess you don't know that you can not move a HDD BOOT HDD0 or SSD0 from one PC to the next right?

and with UEFI on it is 10000 times more blocked, BY DESIGN.

What you need to do is this. (win10-64 installs are fully documented but bios not so good.(dells issues)

• new coin cell RTC battery if below 2.9vdc
  • if using old hDD run the full ePSA HDD SMART  TESTS first, yours  is new so is READY TO GO.
  • if you messed up the 6TB drive, erase it, for a fact w10 hates any HDD that is  seen as alien or  full of data.
  • oK>  it will block you just for that.  or at  the least warn you DATA is here, do not proceed, or if alien data, it will BLOCK you.!!!
  • next I use free, killdisk.exe  this erases the disk (1pass only) and now any windows on earth loads.. ok?
  • now the HDD is like new 100% empty
  • BIOS upgraded, turn off safe boot, and turn on secure boot... and TPM do not touch(CIA mode , do not)
  • connect the ethernet port to your router first,  wired.. so MS PNP can do its magic..
  • boot the install media, w10-64bit v1909+ from MS..  ok let it run and it will in fact format the HDD to GPT.
  • about 20 steps, not counting UEFI bit flips (BIOS)

The 6TB disk must be set up as GPT or it can not boot 64bit.  must.

Ive no Idea at all what your  refurb-guy put on that DVD< i'd never touch it for 2 reasons..

1: it may be infected, or even worse, or a bad BURN or , who knows what. Id put it in my shredder,..

2: it is a very old 2015 version of 64bit that is very very old, and buggy. v1507 etc.  never use older W10 ever.ok?

ever seen the REAL place for w10

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

February 17th, 2020 04:00

Hi @savvy2 Firstly thanks for the quick reply A few things to clarify 1st please

Correct it is a refurb but most of the insides have been replaced RAM Video Card 

I currently have a 3TB it is not the original Hard drive & it is working fine at the moment but it is getting full hence why I want to use the new 6TB hard drive with a installation of  windows 10 on it!

As I said I have put windows 10 on the new 6TB drive on a different PC and this boots up on that PC with no issues.

So just to confirm are you are suggesting updating the BIOS firmware 1st ? what implications will this have ?could this leave me in a worse position afterwards with the current 3TB not booting into windows 10 if I do this?

So the HDD I got with the refurb PC is not in use

If I run diagnostics on the brand  new 6TB on the Dell 990 what will that achive?

If possible I would rather not have to reinstall windows 10 on the New 6TB  Hard drive again if possible I thought it would be as simple as taking it out of the PC I installed it on into the Dell 990 !

Thanks

D

February 17th, 2020 08:00

Hi Again I am really struggling now

basically I have decided to bite the bullet and install windows 10 from scratch on the new 6TB hard drive on the Dell OptiPlex 990 Everthing seemed to be going ok until I did an windows 10 update to the latest pro version and now when it has rebooted It will no longer boot I get the selected boot device failed message please please any suggestions ? the hard drive is a WD Purple 6 TB Hard Disk Drive, Intellipower 3.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s 64 MB Cache 5400 rpm

Any suggestions would be greatfully received as I said I am really struggling here!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 17th, 2020 12:00

Drives larger than 2TB are not supported.

64bit windows is required for drives larger than 2TB.

This is why WDC bundled a host bus adapter for their 3tb and larger drives.The Rocket-620A OEM

https://highpoint-tech.com/USA_new/series_r600-overview.htm

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00BV15NVS/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAAyEnHvlq0

Operating System BIOS Boot Disk Data Disk

Windows Vista and newerUEFI BIOS*Supported by Windows 64 bit onlySupported by Windows
Windows Vista and newerPC BIOSUse DiscWizard Extended Capacity Manager SoftwareSupported by Windows
Windows XPPC BIOSUse DiscWizard Extended Capacity Manager SoftwareUse DiscWizard Extended Capacity Manager Software

This also means F6 drivers are required

https://www.seagate.com/support/kb/support-for-disk-drives-beyond-22-terabytes-tb-and-4k-advanced-format-sectors-218619en/

This means that AHCI and F6 drivers ARE REQUIRED to "see" the hard drive to install onto.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/218619en

Seagate Makes Disk Wizard for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChbFu8jbAR4

See

DiscWizard support page.

2.5K Posts

February 18th, 2020 06:00

the diagnostics for HDD we run, to see if  it fails,  "smart tests fail in any way shape or form it is bad HDD"

no OS on earth loads on a bad or  weak hDD< ever. and is a huge huge waste of time doing so..

Ive no idea what 6TB drive this is but my guess is new ?, and fresh from the maker.....I buy Seagate only.

if untouched by other hands this 6TB it is a good drive , if bought 1/2 price on ebay, from some Bitcoin miner. not..

then it needs to be tested,  try to know, a HDD can come from millions of places.. some good some bad,

good is newegg.com and not refurb. (just 1 example , have more)

the test called Crystaldiskinfo..exe takes only 10 seconds to run or less, greed good, yellow or red bad

nothing can be more easy than SMART tests.

if you see "uncorrectable errors"  it is a bad HDD, for sure. we look for that every time any PC acts up, or goes slow or fail to install and run,  its first things first thing,  (but not needed on true fresh disks say from the Seagate factory  new in box and plastic ESD sealed by them.)

2.5K Posts

February 18th, 2020 07:00

basically I have decided to bite the bullet and install windows 10 from scratch (well that is  always best)

well you wanted 6tb so what other choices are there,zero...  64bit must be installed fresh.

64bit and 6TB and GPT are a must..

and means you boot the DVD or BOOT the USB installer and that means Fresh installed.

on the new 6TB hard drive on the Dell OptiPlex 990

what does the word update below mean?

Everthing seemed to be going ok until I did an windows 10 update to the latest pro version and now when it has rebooted

just install W10 -64bit fresh from a booted USB stick, and tell it what OS you want pro or etc.

or give it your COA license for PRO>  (there are 2 install modes here, COA or hand picked versions and COA way way later. on desktop)

It will no longer boot I get the selected boot device failed message please please any suggestions ?

(my guess is UEFI was not turned and the GPT format never happened) the BIOS must be set correctly first.

the hard drive is a WD Purple 6 TB Hard Disk Drive, Intellipower 3.5 Inch SATA 6 Gb/s 64 MB Cache 5400 rpm.

the only real trick is BIOS, getting that set right and can very by 20 Versions of BIOS on some PC..

BIOS is the only real pain here, and for sure any HDD not blank.

The booted installer , will not like any files or folders it does not understate, for for sure not GPT structured,

or any thing on earth ALIEN (ive run experiments on all MS installers for years)

here is a case in point to fully understand, the disk you got from willy wonka,  was used 1 time  in a NVR..

A NVR video server or any of zillions of  DVR, movie recorders,   all with alien formats or files.

I am telling you this , to lean what ERASED means.. erased means , NO DATA of any kind on the disk.

A new HDD comes with all clusters/sectors, EMPTY..  This is where to be, or just do it...

rtc cell fresh

CPU fan turns?  if not it will overheat and w10 will fail.(stall)

try this first,  beats any dell page, showing the REAL thing. in clear ENGLISH... not mumblers.

nice TOUR but is relic A05 version so.... not sure what is in YOURS..

turn off PXE in the NIC page set it to NIC yes, PXE NO !

see time stamp, 2:13, set UEFI to on. legacy off.

onboard nic (boot ) off, this is PXE stealth (avoid for SURE).

diskette off.( if on slows boot)

cd and usb  on, so you can boot install via those ports.

date and time (RTC battery toast?) if you fail to get date right MS software will go NUTZ (sighed lic.. stuff)

smart reporting on, why not, this makes BIOS tell you gee the HDD IS BAD at the lowest level in the world. BIOS.

integrated NIC, is set TO JUST IT AND NOT PXE EVER..

all sata ports needed, enabled.. but did it wrong, AHCI is it... DO NOT EVER USE THIS RAID,,

USB see that  turn all there ON.

enable PCI-e slot,  for sure using any GPU card, 

security tab,  all not set, unless work for CIA, OR LOVE BRICKING PC.'S (NO PW PICKED HERE)

CHASSIS INTRUSION SURE USELESS, OFF..

cpu XD on for sure.. (a must for 64bit !!!!!) 

OProm I keep on so I can add cards with extended ROM, but UEFI may  fail, so IDK here... leave off now.

UEFI now deams ROM as unSafe,.. unless UEFI certified, like RAID cards  super expensive.

speedstep on,

multi core ON..

turbo boost on 

(C-states, IDK)  use  default. (for sleep deep? , i always turn that off)

I turn on all VT modes so Hyper-v can run other OS,  a real nice feature this is.... try it just for fun once.

that should do this,  Not sure me YOUR BIOS defaults ) so  I did a few above that are key.

Hey good luck to you !!!!!!

February 18th, 2020 12:00

Hi Again Thanks for all the replies , Well touch wood after 24 hours it seems I have finally got it cracked I have to do a windows revert back as the upgrade to windows 10 1909 seem to do something  hence why I got the No boot device found . but it now seems to be stable I have shut down and powered back on about 4/5 times today and every time it have booted into windows so fingers crossed I am now sorted So I would say with a bit of pain and an  fresh install of Windows 10 you can install it on a 6TB hard drive

Thanks again for all the advice especially from @savvy2 

No Events found!