Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

17 Posts

June 10th, 2021 06:00

PXE not working Optiplex 7090

I have two new Optiplex 7090 SFF systems, neither of which can PXE boot. When I select the PXE boot option, the screen shows "Start PXE over ipv4" but then nothing else happens, and eventually it times out and restarts.

The older systems display the MAC address on screen at this point, and then get an IP address and begin the boot.

I am sure that the problem is not in my environment, as older systems (Optiplex 7080, 7070, 7060, Latitude 5520, 5511) can all PXE boot without issue on the same cable.

My linux DHCP server shows that the systems request an IP address 5-6 times; it offers one every time, but they don't seem to accept it. 

I have tried toggling the 'enable UEFI network stack' option but it does not help. I have also tried using a Dell USB ethernet adapter - it does not help either (though the older systems can PXE boot from it fine).

The problem also affects two new Precision 5820 tower systems. Everything is running the most recent BIOS (1.1.25 for Optiplex, 2.8.0 for Precision)

Any suggestions? This is very inconvenient!

91 Posts

June 11th, 2021 06:00

Be sure that your PXE is enabled so that it will show on your one-time boot menu.  That's the only setting I can see that you didn't address specifically.

It's in the "Connections" link (left hand side) under "Integrated NIC Configuration".

On the old legacy BIOS interface, when you initiated a PXE boot, it would make you hit F12 again to confirm after the handoff.  On the 7080, you could hit F12 or Enter.  

Try hitting F12 or Enter so that your PXE request doesn't time itself out.  Does it give you any PXE errors when you try to do this?  Or just hang and then restart?

June 14th, 2021 11:00

I also have same issue. PXE is enabled. It just hangs at the IPv4 screen and then eventually goes into troubleshooting mode.

91 Posts

June 17th, 2021 08:00

Are you guys just letting it sit there or are you trying to hit Enter/F12 as prompted before it hangs?  

I know on the -80 and up series, the PXE interface is a bit different.  Old method is waiting for the screen prompt, hit F12 after the IP assignment, and continue via PXE into MDT (or whatever you're booting into).  New Method is waiting for the screen prompt, hit Enter, and continue via PXE into MDT (or whatever you're booting into).

Either way, it requires user input else it will hang and force you to reboot the machine...

17 Posts

June 25th, 2021 07:00

The process is:

* Enable network boot and UEFI network stack in BIOS

* Boot system and tap F12

* Select the ipv4 pxe boot option

On the older systems, this then displays messages about starting PXE, media check passing, MAC address, IPV4 address, and the boot process starts properly.

On the newer systems, it hangs at "Starting PXE".

My DHCP server logs show that multiple requests are sent out by the system; the DHCP server offers a lease but evidently it's not accepted. The system then restarts into troubleshooting mode.

It's getting to be a bit of a problem because it means I can't image any new system without taking it apart...

91 Posts

June 25th, 2021 11:00

Older system (7070-), after you hit F12 and it started PXE, it prompts you to hit F12 again or it stalls and forces reboot. 

Newer system (7080+), after you hit F12 and it started PXE, it prompts you to hit ENTER (But F12 also works) or it stalls and forces a reboot.

You are getting no PXE errors when trying to handoff and it doesn't tell you to hit any key to restart system?

Im still confused as to where you're stalling...

17 Posts

June 28th, 2021 05:00

On older systems:

* Hit F12 on boot to enter boot menu

* Select PXE boot option (ipv4)

* PXE message appears on screen : shows 'Starting PXE', shows MAC address, shows IPv4 address

* PXE bootloader runs (Windows setup)

On newer systems:

* Hit F12 on boot to enter boot menu

* Select PXE boot option (ipv4)

* PXE message appears on screen: shows 'Starting PXE'

* Stays like this for about a minute before falling back into a 'boot failure' state.

* The DHCP server logs show that the system requests an IP address, is offered one, requests again, is offered again, requests again, is offered again - about 7 or 8 times.

So as far as I can tell, it looks like the PXE bootloader is not correctly interpreting the DHCP offer; and as such it is not accepting an IP address, and so doesn't work.

91 Posts

June 28th, 2021 06:00

It's very strange that this loop wouldn't report a PXE error if that's the case.

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2021 11:00

After trying multiple things, I switched the HD in the BIOS from RAID to ACHI and was able to PXE boot and image the 7090's. 

3 Posts

September 28th, 2021 07:00

@wildfire7 , I have a 7090 optiplex, and I can't upload PXE images for it either. I've made several changes to the BIOS, including RAID to ACHI, but so far, nothing! Which NVMe / SSD driver are you using on your MDT? Here you can even find the PXE, but when you go to the list of Images, this error appears here:

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-28 at 11.42.01.jpeg

2 Posts

September 29th, 2021 07:00

Hi Verynoob. Have you tried downloading the newest WINPE drivers and updating your boot image?

3 Posts

October 1st, 2021 10:00

CapturarWInPE.PNG

Hi, if it stops as it is in the image above, yes

• 

25.7K Posts

October 4th, 2021 04:00

Bom dia! Estamos em contato por mensagem. Favor nos responder Obrigado. ^Elisson

3 Posts

October 5th, 2021 17:00

Goodnight! We managed to solve the problem. With the guidance of a friend, I went into the WDS boot image, selected the replace image option, and then reselected the boot image. Finally, all this resovel and the optiplex 7090, accessed the images through PXE

• 

25.7K Posts

October 6th, 2021 04:00

Bom dia.

Ficamos felizes que tenha resolvido.

Estávamos em contato via inbox para lhe ajudar mas sem retorno.

Dúvidas, só nos chamar.

Uma ótima semana  

1 Message

January 24th, 2022 04:00

Could you please share the steps iof what you have tried. We have the same issue for the Optiplex 7090 and couldnt get the solution yet. 

No Events found!