Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2020 10:00

Precision 3630 - MEBx Hotkey (CTRL+P) not work

I bought a new Precision 3630. I want change the default password of the Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (Intel MEBx). I am not able to go in menu MEBx with hotkey (CTRL+P) at BIOS POST. In owners manual of Precision 3630 workstation, I can read this : "Table 26. Manageability" show "MEBx Hotkey This option is selected by default.".

In BIOS menu, I not see any section about Manageability: MEBx Hotkey". Except in the section, OROM Keyboard Access where is enabled to select F12, (CTRL+P for MEBx) or (CTRL+I for RAID) . I selected to 10 seconds for "Extend BIOS POST Time This option creates an additional pre-boot delay." to have time to use hot keys.

I have also a laptop ThinkPad and it's easy to have access at the Intel Management Engine BIOS Extension (Intel MEBx) with hotkey CTRL+P ! 

In Windows 10, Intel(R) Management Engine Components is already installed. I can see also Intel AMT.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 21st, 2020 17:00

MEBx Hotkey is an option and it can be disabled in BIOS.

Ctrl-P only works when the post screen is displaying "Intel® MEBX: "  if you don't see that prompt, your bios is either lacking the configuration, or it is not enabled. if you don't have options related to the AMT/ME, look for an updated bios, and contact the manufacturer.  NEWER Versions use CTRL I or CTRL M or another key.

This option is not available in CHINA or RUSSIA etc.

When the number for the manageability mode is entered and confirmed, it is unable to be changed. If the incorrect manageability mode is selected, it is possible the system board must be replaced depending on the option selected.  
  1. Turn the system off and remove the power cord.
  2. Open the chassis cover and locate the manageability mode sticker.
  3. Verify the number on the manageability mode sticker.
  4. Close the chassis cover, plug the power cord back into the system, and turn the system on.
  5. At the Type the number corresponding with your selection: prompt, press the key for the number obtained from the sticker
  6. (Figure 1).

Depends on bios. Secure boot must be OFF to set thisDepends on bios. Secure boot must be OFF to set this

On the inside of the removable side cover there is a 2" x 1" label denoting the manageability mode with which the system was purchased .The system board is shipped in manufacturing mode and the end user or service provider must select the manageability option upon first boot. There are four manageability options that might be seen on the customer order according to the original configuration purchased.
For information on what manageability options were configured when the system was originally shipped

Selection can only be made 1 timeSelection can only be made 1 time

Label   SKU Part Number Description
Basic Systems Management Mode
1 vPro
AMT
DASH Ready

310-9491 CU245 Short: Advanced Client Systems Management,w/vPro,OPTI
Long: Advanced Client Systems Management,with vPro,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Advanced Client Systems Management (w/ vPro)
MOD MOD,LBL,MGMT,VPRO/AMT/DASH

1 AMT
DASH Ready
310-9494 HP413 Short: Advanced Client Systems Management,w/iAMT,OPTI
Long: Advanced Client Systems Management,with iAMT,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Advanced Client Systems Management (w/ iAMT)
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,AMT/DASH,OPTI

2 ASF Only 310-9492 CU377 Short: Basic Client Systems Management,w/ASF,OPTI
Long: Basic Client Systems Management,with ASF,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Basic Client Systems Management (w/ ASF)
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ASF ENABLED

3 ME Disabled 310-9493 XT411
NN180
Short: Client Systems Management Disabled,OPTI
Long: Client Systems Management Disabled, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Client Systems Management Disabled
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,MEBX,DISABLE,OPT
MOD MOD,INFO,1-WATT,BIOS,OPTI,755

Deployment Mode
N/A Disables Remote Configuration 310-9495 CU378 Short: One Touch Provisioning Support,OPTI
Long: One Touch Provisioning Support, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: One Touch Provisioning Support
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ONE TOUCH CNFG

2 ASF with AMT option 310-9497 WK835 Short: LEGACY ASF SETTING FOR IAMT,OPTI
Long: Legacy ASF Setting for iAMT,Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: Legacy ASF Setting for iAMT
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,ASF ROLL BACK

4 No TLS * 310-9496 RU572 Short: TLS Encryption Disabled,OPTI
Long: TLS Encryption Disabled, Dell OptiPlex
Option Online: TLS Encryption Disabled
MOD MOD,INFO,MGMT,TLS,DISABLE,OPTI

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 21st, 2020 12:00

There is a separate forum for Precision. It's under Workstations, Precision Fixed Workstations. You might get a quicker answer.

• 

25.1K Posts

October 22nd, 2020 00:00

Bonjour Sébastien,

Afin d’approfondir le diagnostic et vous offrir l’assistance nécessaire, je vous prie de contacter notre service technique au Canada (pays d’achat) : https://dell.to/2Ti4kwM

En vous remerciant de votre compréhension et vous souhaitant une excellente journée,

Naima

No Events found!