Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DW

19 Posts

November 28th, 2018 17:00

7010, screen blinking randomly

When I first turn on my computer in the morning, the monitor will randomly blink off and on. It will go off for about 2 seconds (at which time the power light on monitor is steadily on), then when the monitor comes back on, I see the "DVI" notification in the upper right hand corner of the screen (like you see on start-up). This blinking lasts for about 5 minutes and then occurs randomly throughout the day. I never get any error messages. Onboard Dell diagnostics showed no problems. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance....

7 Technologist

• 

12.1K Posts

November 28th, 2018 19:00

Have you tried another monitor yet? Are you using a video card in the PCIe slot? And by any chance would it be an AMD based card like the RX 570 or 580? Have you tried another video cable?

19 Posts

November 30th, 2018 17:00

After updating the BIOS and AMD Radeon driver, the monitor has only blinked twice in 2 days (it use to blink 20-30 times a day). It is way better and maybe it will continue to improve - thanks!

19 Posts

December 8th, 2018 07:00

unfortunately, the blinking is becoming worse. Not too bad for a couple of days after updating BIOS and AMD Radeon driver, but now it blinks 20-30 times a day. I have a HDTV with HDMI input so I may hook it up and see what happens. Any thoughts are appreciated.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

December 9th, 2018 21:00

Trying something for a different monitor, including your HDTV, can't hurt.  Could you please post as to how it goes?

281 Posts

December 10th, 2018 08:00

do you happen to have a cell phone or walkit/talkie next to the PC? or plugged into it to charge or whatever? we had this issue with our 5040's (not 7010), but simply moving the phone/radio away from the tower did the trick and it would "blank" when a radio call came in, or the cell phone rang/got a text

19 Posts

December 10th, 2018 09:00

I do keep my cell phone on my desk. The screen actually blinked twice while I was typing this reply, but the phone was inactive - just turned on. The blinking is worse in the morning when I first turn the computer on. Tomorrow morning I will make sure my phone is off and in the next room and then see how monitor reacts. I am afraid it will blink one of these days and won't come back on....

19 Posts

December 12th, 2018 09:00

Today, the screen blinked a couple of times, then it went gray with a lot of static and then if went black and stayed black. I pulled out the AMD Radeon 7570 board (which is only 2 years old) and reconnected my monitor with VGA cable to the integrated graphics. Everything works okay and I haven't seen any blinking. So I am guessing my problems were all associated with the graphics card. I will keep you posted.

19 Posts

June 3rd, 2019 07:00

It was definitely a bad graphics card. No problems since I removed it.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2019 13:00

Good to hear.

192 Posts

June 3rd, 2019 15:00

Sounds like bad video card but try re-installing and check. Could be just oxidation.

No Events found!