Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 29th, 2019 11:00

Use Display port and VGA port at same time for dual monitors?

We want to connect a Dell E2214H monitor to an Optiplex 3020 as a second monitor. We recently obtained software that can use dual monitors. The Opti3020 is currently connected to a E2214H via VGA. Can we connect the second E2214H to the Opti using a display port to DVI adapter? Or would we better off installing a dual port PCI16 video card? 

This is NOT an AIO as the tag implies. The message board assumed that.

2 Posts

July 29th, 2019 12:00

I'm having similar issues.  I have 2 Dell SE2416 monitors hooked to my Optiplex 790 and one works and the other stays black and says it's in power save mode.  I have the regular first monitor hooked VGA to VGA but the second is VGA to the display port.

Can anyone help?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 29th, 2019 13:00

Dual monitors cannot use the same type ports. You need to use HDMI/DVI or VGA or display port on the computer to connect the monitors. The vga converter is for connecting the display port on the computer to an old vga monitor--not the other way around. It's a one way cable. Your computer video must be capable of dual monitors. Old Optiplex computers with integrated video cannot use a display port on a monitor. If the computer can handle a separate video card, install one that can use dual monitors.  It has to be an older video card that can run on the low psu on the optiplex models

2.5K Posts

July 30th, 2019 06:00

you bought  business PC. it is a single purpose PC, not designed at all to run say Radeon PGU that uses 365watts all by itself... if you own PC that is not a full tower then the case of the PSU is even too small, buy only full sized cased PC.

dell sell;s gaming PC just for that,,,,  Alienware, etc.

2.5K Posts

no GPU card,  best is that buying one that works right, for DUAL. vast cards do that,  endless. with  w10

the iGPU set:

the VGA and DP might work ok, but with an adapter to DP, many adaptors just  do not work right, some do some don't (the reason many fail is the edid data stream gets messed up, the magic identifier chip)

converters DP to VGA> or DVI)

your call buying it , 1000 of brands sold , nobody can tell you which work and not, and even if they did

the product can change fast for sure buying on fleabay.

buy the adaptor,  and try it,  that is what we all do, unless dell tells you the 3020 iGPU is not dual display certified. (at its 2 PORTS)

25 Posts

If I understand you, it is not possible to hook up on monitor to the VGA port and another to the DisplayPort at the same time. The PSU is one of the BIG negatives on all Dell computers I've ever owned. It's just big enough to handle the standard components and nothing more.

July 30th, 2019 07:00

Hi PELC3530,

You can check the link for better understanding on dual monitor setup https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/000134286.

25 Posts

July 30th, 2019 07:00

Thank you. Too bad our Dell E2214H monitors only have VGA and DVI ports.

25 Posts

July 30th, 2019 08:00

On another thread, I found this tidbit about recommended video cards:

FDT1K AMD Radeon R7 250
W42M3, F9P1R AMD Radeon R5 240
DMHJ0, MX4D1 AMD Radeon HD8490
YT0RH AMD Radeon HD8570
2FVV6, 0WH7F AMD Radeon HD7470

So, if I drop one of these cards into the 3020 will we be able to do dual displays? The E2214H monitors we have only accept DisplayPort & VGA.

2.5K Posts

July 30th, 2019 11:00

no usages stated for 2 monitors, but  gaming, or just what , just the look of it?

but Nvidia has this back to year 2000,  ,  called Twin-View, my Geforce 8400GS card (2007 ) that costs $10 bucks , used, no need to spend $100 ever, unless doing FAST Graphics,  non stated by poste so...… IDK

run on the 790  vga and dvi-I connected just how, under windows 10.  like a champ and the nvidia control panel free from nvida  controls both.

the AMD same story, from  Eyefinity. year 2009 up  Radeon HD 5450,  costs now,  near zero,. $10?

and up.  AMD_Eyefinity

I tested my Gf 7100GS card now, and it works too, VGA + DVI. (dell 790) I tested my R5 -240 ($10 cost) and it works VGA + DP (or to my DP to VGA adaptor (fancy) most adaptors fail but not all. I have this too. the $10 -$15 range, DP to 3 old class work really great as long as you do not bottom fish. so there I have lots of $10 cures posted, a card or and adaptor, if needed.

July 31st, 2019 03:00

Hi PELC3530,

The tested graphics card for this model are listed below, we don't suggest replacing any other card apart from the ones listed below as they might not be compatible or cause other hardware issues.

Optional Card:

• 1GB AMD Radeon HD8490 (OUGA10) with DP and DVI
  • 1GB AMD Radeon HD8570 (OPGA10) with DP and DVI
  • 1GB AMD Radeon R5 240 (OUGA11)
  • 2GB AMD Radeon R7 250 (OPGA11)

2.5K Posts

July 31st, 2019 04:00

"VGA to the display port." you said.

most VGA do DP adaptors are no good. they fail to do the eDID  identification correctly (near impossible if you learn how hard that is,  6 ways VGA do this and would have to translate all 6 ways then send that to the PCs DP

display port.  read the VESA spec. on VGA< see what I mean  3 decades of rules on DCD and edid.

so you forgot to say with the ADAPTER, we all know that most times these adaptors fail !

the Dell link show only direct VGA to VGA and DP to DP connections work.

the other way potentially is to use a better adapter

and using VGA to DP is a bad bad IDEA< VGA (vesa) spec, has over 6 ways that DCD and Edid evolved for 2 decades , that means and adapter is near impossible build, ok. I can talk about why all day but just take that is truth, I run headless servers and know why, ok>

the better way (not tested by me yet but will soon  is) DONT USE VGA TO DP but do try DVI to DP.

the DVI-I monitor port is much newer, its generationally very new, (VGA is not)

here is one that might work (testing it later on my 3020)

/DisplayPort-DP-Male-to-DVI-Female-Adapter-Cable-Converter-for-Laptop-PC

no clams DP audio will work must  screen video,. and may have limits IDK, and dell.

these answers are user to user , not dell.

I have the more fancy version of adapter, that I am testing now,  it is complex so takes me awhile.

why not just buy a $10 dirt cheap VGA +DVI video card and in this pain,  why is $10 so hard?

A 8400GS card works and w10 likes it and does 2 screens all day.  (tested on 790)

more fancy, way. (more useful)

2.5K Posts

July 31st, 2019 04:00

this is not true at all there are 100s of GPU cards below 75watts and vast below 30. too.

endless and they all work just great,  tried boxes full of old cards and all worked.

dell may not test cards in their  PC (but  4 ) but I do.

it is true that huge powerful gaming grade , over 75watt GPU' will not work with the gutless PSU in place.

sure. but that is fraction of cards made , and only for Gaming and the like.  high end cards, expensive.

the GTX1050 will run.  just tired it and works perfectly and is below 75watts and fast.  a gem of card.\

I don't think Dell supports,  dual monitors on the iGPU, use the correct name this is the (old name)ON BOARD GPU that is part of the CORE processor.  and has 2 ports, VGA and DP.  on the main chassis of the PC, left side looking rear. 

I can only guess the owner has no GPU cards at all. and most work in dual mode, Just card, for the the last decade;. even older but 2007 and newer cards work. ( even $10 cards work)  just tried a bunch for you and they all worked perfectly, in the x16 slot. 

Nvidia series 2 up, if you read the wiki on them tells you which cards support it, answer is most, do.

for near 2 decades. (year 2000 first)

25 Posts

July 31st, 2019 09:00

The units were recommended by our IT service. I would never have requested units with only 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD.

No Events found!