Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

DO

17 Posts

May 10th, 2023 15:00

Wondering about a vintage computer for vintage WP5.1 DOS

Unfortunately, the forum options here are very limited, but I'll give this a try.

I have a very old computer mostly used for the antiquated Word Perfect 5.1 DOS for word processing, not hooked up to the internet, just for text.  It was custom-assembled for me by a friend who liked to tinker for fun, and it's about 30 years old. 

It's finally dying, though, and I'm looking for a replacement--but also something now obsolete:  A computer that has both an A-Drive for floppies and a USB port. These were being made probably about a decade ago, apparently especially by Dell.  It would be hard enough just to find any floppy-USB combination, but it's even harder to find one to accommodate WP5.1.  And even harder because I'm not a techie myself, and I don't know the language. 

So I'm hoping for something with both an A-drive and a USB port (preferably in front), preferably weighing under 28 pounds, that would be able to have WP5.1, Corel 11, Microsoft Word (preferably an older version), and Excel.  I've discovered that Dell made some models maybe about 10-15 years ago, supposedly Optiplex, Inspiron, and Precision, but there is no more general forum for asking this.  In any case, I don't know the difference between them, whether they could be used for WP5.1, or how to choose between them.

What questions should I be asking?  I'd be grateful for any guidance. 

5 Practitioner

• 

4.8K Posts

May 10th, 2023 17:00

You don't need to have both requirements.  As long as you can find a machine that works with your software, you can add a USB floppy drive to the system.

1 Rookie

• 

103 Posts

May 11th, 2023 08:00

The Optiplex GX260 might be a good choice. It still has a floppy drive, can accommodate a CD ROM or burner, and has two front USB 2.0 ports. It can max out at 4GB of RAM (although Windows XP will only see up to 3.5GB if using a 32-Bit version)  The only downside is that for storage, it relies on old PATA Hard Drives (IDE). I read somewhere that there is a PATA to SD adapter for ancient (think 486-type) retro builds, but not sure if that would work.  Again, it might work for what you're looking to do, but could also be too modern for your programs. 

Keep in mind though - retro restoration is getting more expensive. The older the PC, the more expensive.

17 Posts

May 16th, 2023 18:00

Thanks, 4Ruthenium, but if you mean that I can plug in an external A-drive, yes, I know, but I'm hoping to avoid that.  I've heard that in some cases, you can have an A-drive built in, but that there's no knowing in advance of what will fit in or won't.

It would be easier, I think, to compile some kind of list of past computer models that already have both the A-drive and USB ports, and see if I can find one of them - used of course..

5 Practitioner

• 

4.8K Posts

May 17th, 2023 08:00

My previous post meant to open up more options in your search and to improve the chance that you can find a working machine that meet your needs.  You may not be able to find any built-in floppy disk drive on computers built after 2012.  Also, it's not that hard to find listing of Dell machine models, for example list of OptiPlex or Inspiron.  But, what hardware technical specs listing on papers and the actual availability in your markets are different things.

Not saying that's impossible, it's just hard to find a machine that met your requirements and still in good working condition.  Most of these machines owners either donated or got rid of them a long time ago due to no value of the machine can offset the time spent and shipping cost.  The machines that are left on the markets are for collectors items.  You may expect to spend hundreds of dollars for it.

Alternatively, you can find newer machines with little cost (2008 - 2012) which can run Windows XP operating system as it's the last OS with compatibility to run Word Perfect 5.  All Dell desktops come with USB ports, so if you can't find a machine with floppy diskette, you can try the USB diskette version.

6 Professor

• 

7.4K Posts

May 17th, 2023 17:00

Hi @Derry-o,

Many years ago, I had a Gateway 300SE and a Gateway 500XL.  If I simply type "Gateway computer" into eBay, many options come up, including the Gateway 2000.  Looking at them things took me back.  They are IDE systems that can run both XP and Win98.  I imagine the Dimension also, I just don't have experience with that one.

I don't know what you use for monitors, but Win98 doesn't adjust to a flat screen monitor by itself.  I don't know if there's drivers for it, but I imagine one could possibly search.

So if by chance you don't find something in Dell, there you go.  The models I mentioned have both floppy drive and USB ports in the front.

If you look at the 500XL, I noticed they were upgraded.  The 'newer' ones are black and silver and the older ones are a little smaller and beige.

Regular size print:  My PC's are still currently Dell.

Any of the aforementioned models mentioned by me and others can run MS Office 2003 (XP or newer).  2003 had one my favorite versions of Word.  Word 2003 is very similar to older versions and has a blue bar on top instead of gray.

17 Posts

May 25th, 2023 18:00

Well ,thank you and congratulations, 3 Argentum, because with your mention of the  Optiplex GX260 you became the first person, of every place I've asked, to suggest an actual specific model!

17 Posts

May 25th, 2023 18:00

Thanks,  Redxps630.  I looked at the link, but with the item calling it "Dell Dimension 3000 Windows XP PRO SP3 Computer RS232 Serial Parallel DB25 " I can't figure out which part is the model number...?

No Events found!