Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

July 20th, 2018 20:00

Optiplex 9020 SFF, MST/DP 1.2 daisy chain

DELL Optiplex 9020 SFF Daisy-Chaining Factory Defective Motherboards (MOBO).

9020 is not supporting (Multi-Stream Transport (MST))  Display Port 1.2 (DP 1.2)

I could hook-up a DP cable to each of the DP OUTs on the 9020 (which does work) but I want to run it through a DP 1.2 KVM switch (keyboard, video and mouse switch). All devices I am using are noted to support DP 1.2 technology.

The problem device is the DELL OptiPlex 9020 desktop computer.

I am not able to get DELL 9020 to work with daisy chain setup. Setup is one DELL 9020 desktop computer and two DELL U2415 monitors. The DELL 9020 is supposed to have (per manual) two DP 1.2 on-board motherboard ports (it does have two DP ports but they must be 1.1 or older?). I connected one DP cable to the top DP OUT port on the 9020 desktop computer then the other end to the DP IN port on the U2415 monitor. Then connected another DP cable to the 1st U2415 monitor's DP OUT port with the other end to the second U2415 monitor's DP IN port. Then in the 1st monitor ONLY; I go into the monitor's touch button menu and switched DP 1.2 from disabled to enabled. Once I do that I lose Windows as the system goes to a blank screen / black screen and then you are not able to get back into the U2415 monitor's touch button menu to turn this back to disabled. So to disable; I hook the U2415 to another computer and switch it back to disabled. I tested setup with another DELL computer that has a dedicated video card that also claims support for DP 1.2 but unlike the 9020 it in fact does work with this setup exactly as desired. It also works with the KVM with DP 1.2 enabled on the U2415 monitor. My elimination tells me it is the DELL 9020 computer but I know others who have this setup and it is working. What is up with the DELL 9020s? Do not ALL in this series support DisplayPort 1.2 even though all documentation claims they all do? Please note I also updated the DELL 9020 to the newest BIOS. (same issue). I also updated DELL U2415 to newest drivers. (same issue) Does anyone know how many board / motherboard / mobo revisions (e.g. A1, A2, A3, etc.) there have been to the 9020 SFF series and which ones are known to work with DP1.2 and which ones simply do not? "Multi-Stream Transport (MST) first introduced DisplayPort 1.2 (DP 1.2) which allows multiple independent displays to be driven from a single DP port on the source device. The displays can be connected using a hub, or by daisy-chaining, or any combination of the two." Lastly why does DELL not have this issue documented better and offer a fix? I have tried repeatedly but DELL Support does not appear to have even tested the different boards (A1, A2, etc.) to even confirm there is an issue. I can purchase an add-on video card but if you purchase technology that is supposed to support DP 1.2 you anticipate that it will in fact work without having to purchase even more products. I am hoping there is some solution that I am missing here.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 23rd, 2018 05:00

Dell OptiPlex 9020 SFF Owner's Manual
Dell OptiPlex 9020 MT Owner's Manual
Dell OptiPlex 9020 USFF Owner's Manual
OptiPlex 9020 Statement of Volatility PDF
Dell OptiPlex 9020 Setup and Features Information PDF
Regulatory and Environmental Datasheet PDF

MST/DisplayPort 1.2

only works with ACTIVE Hub and external power supply. Dell doesn't make the KVM and therefore doesn't support that. Onboard Display ports are INTEL GRAPHICS so there is your first problem as this is NOT Dedicated Video card.

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-DisplayPort-Multi-Stream-B156-003-V2/dp/B01FM3H2TG

61F-DRyb0eL._SL1200_

2 Posts

July 24th, 2018 19:00

Thank you for all the information.

A friend I was visiting over weekend showed me his setup. Four computers two HPs with dedicated video cards and two Dell 9020 SFF with only the factory two onboard (motherboard) DP 1.2 ports (no add-on cards or other adapters). He only used one DP OUT from each of his Dell 9020s and HPs into the KVM (supports DP 1.2). On the the KVM OUT (to monitor) he connected one DP cable into the IN on the DELL U2415 monitor and another DP cable in the OUT on that same 1st DELL U2415 monitor into the IN on the 2nd DELL U2415 monitor (he did not enable DP 1.2 on the 2nd monitor). Then he enabled DP 1.2 on the 1st DELL U2415 monitor and all 4 computers switch fine and had dual displays. DELL U2415 monitors have two regular DP ports (DP IN and DP OUT) and in the monitor's menu the option to enable DP 1.2 but only if all devices support DP 1.2. Again proving that the DELL 9020s do not need extra add-on cards etc to work (as advertised); well some work but searching it appears I am not alone and in fact it appears most I read trying this setup find that they do not work as advertised.

Page 52 Dell OptiPlex 9020 Small Form Factor
"two 20-pin DisplayPort 1.2 connectors"

Question remains why does my DELL 9020 SFF not work as advertised?

Again searching online I see a lot of the same postings.

I remain to believe not all DELL 9020 SFF have DP 1.2; many must be DP 1.1 or earlier versions?

If true; why can't DELL simply test (all boards issued for the 9020 series) these on their end and if confirmed compensate users who have requested this support instead of telling them to buy more equipment or deflect (hardware/software issue on your end).

No Events found!