Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2012 20:00

Fusion-io new move

I have read a very interesting topic and want to share it  with you. Fusion-io Laughing at Other SSD Vendors' Claims; Interview with Fusion-io CMO Rick White Part IV

There are several things caught my attention. The first one is they are able to put 10 - 20 TBs of flash in a single 1U server.

Another thing is Fusion-io's game plan is to open up its Virtual Storage Layer (VSL) APIs so that developers can leverage flash - and potentially anybody's flash - in new and unique ways. VSL has over 150 APIs open and some Data Centers has software engineers coupled with Fusion-io engineers to work on tuning and writing customer applications like MySQL around the VSL platform. If customer are used to these API and develope their applications, it will definitely be a game changer for hardware competition.

What are your opnions?

So with a single Octal you are at 10 TB and with two Octals you are at 20 TBs. There is a 1U HP server that gives us two 10 TB Octals in a 1U form factor. So now you can take these Octals and put them in any HP, IBM, Dell or Supermicro server and bundle it with our data migration software and you literally have a turnkey flash storage appliance. The sweet spot for these scale up customers - data warehouse and heavy data analytics - is 10-20 TBs. 10 TBs gets you a seat at the table and, at 20 TBs, you can support most everything as all of their data sets tend to fit within 10-20 TBs.

This flash box is more like project thunder than project lightning in EMC, but they have more passive controllers and doesn't depend on SAN network. I guess the host CPU overhead will be the point for EMC to attack. At this moment, we don't know EMC's project thunder will be based on which communication technoogy, PCIe, SAN or Infiniband.

Fusion-io Laughing at Other SSD Vendors' Claims; Interview with Fusion-io CMO Rick White Part IV

225 Posts

March 14th, 2012 01:00

Jingyi, thank for your sharing.

There are two things really catching my eyes on this article.

Capacity and its density, according the #, Fusion IO speaking, we would have about 400TB storage in a standard rack, basically many customer could move all their BZ data onto it, and very comparable with current NL-SAS tech.

VSL, that would provide application ability of Flash awareness, that would be more proactive than current tieing tech enabled with data locality analysis.

Really interesting reading!

Eddy 

No Events found!