Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 7th, 2010 08:00

Dual Power Supply Consumption in the event of a site power fail

Looking to make sure our data center has enough power in reserve in the event of a power failure. Our standard setup is a server with 2 power supplies, one connected directly to the main power, the other to a UPS. My question is if either the main power or UPS fails for the entire site (not just one server), does the power consumption of the Power Supply still running double, or are they always running at 100% and no additional consumption is required? To make sure we have enough power in the event of a power failure I'm trying to find out if we basically need double the resources in use on both the main powerr and UPS in the event either fail. Thanks!

847 Posts

July 9th, 2010 08:00

"Looking to make sure our data center has enough power in reserve in the event of a power failure. Our standard setup is a server with 2 power supplies, one connected directly to the main power, the other to a UPS. My question is if either the main power or UPS fails for the entire site (not just one server), does the power consumption of the Power Supply still running double, or are they always running at 100% and no additional consumption is required? To make sure we have enough power in the event of a power failure I'm trying to find out if we basically need double the resources in use on both the main powerr and UPS in the event either fail. Thanks!"
Would make for an interesting experiement for an inline power meter for sure. Interesting, we UPS all legs of power.

2 Posts

July 9th, 2010 17:00

The load doesn't quite double on the remaining power supply, but it is close enough for all practical purposes. If you use in rack power distribution make sure the total load is under the rated limit. A 30amp rated pdu should only be loaded to 24amp, a 20amp should only be loaded to 16, etc. Check with your electrician if in doubt.
No Events found!