Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2015 02:00

OMPC 'Protocol Operation Failed' on DRAC6 units

hi folks,

we have a whole bunch of Dell Poweredge boxes, but the ones i'm having issues with are our R710's with DRAC firmware version 1.97 & 1.98.

within OMPC, I have discovered these six devices previously and have managed to obtain power/thermal stats from all of them, but for some reason, the stats only seem to run for about half a day before I encounter a flood of errors in the event log stating 'Unexpected protocol error(s) have occurred. Retry the operation, and contact Dell support if the problem persists.'

IPMI over LAN is enabled on each of the DRACs, and we are using a 40-character encryption key. I have attempted:

• upgrading the firmware on the cards from 1.97 to 1.98
  • removing the encryption key and sticking with the default 00000..etc
  • deleting the devices from the devices list within OMPC and re-discovering them with a new protocol to reflect both the old and amended encryption keys

the strange thing is that OMPC can happily discover the devices without issue, it just refuses to pull through power/thermal info for extended periods of time.

of the cluster of six servers, three are running Windows server 2012, the other three make up part of a Vmware 5.5 environment.

the statistics stopped coming through at a point yesterday when nobody was left in the office to even make changes, the only thing we've amended since they started taking stats is the frequency at which it polls (from 1 minute up to 10)

I'm not particularly good at explaining things, my apologies, but any ideas?

thanks,

Tom

February 19th, 2015 02:00

I may have actually found the cause of this - for some reason, it just does not seem to enjoy polling every 10 minutes. I reduced the time back down to 3 minutes for both power and temp monitoring and it seems to have stopped throwing out errors. Ideally we'd like to keep it at 10 minutes but if this needs to be reduced to keep these DRAC6 units happy, then so be it!

February 19th, 2015 03:00

Tom,

Unexpected protocol errors are expected incase of communication authentication failures and failure of the device to honor an OMPC command .

However request you to create a support ticket with Dell to enable us to access the log file and find the exact root cause.

Thanks

Pavan

1 Message

March 24th, 2015 08:00

I also ran into this issue, and created a support ticket.

So far this is what I know from Dell

Good morning Scott,

I wanted to update you on the status of our findings.  It was determined that it is a hardware issue, not an issue with OMPC.  We are focusing our work on the iDRAC 6 to see why it’s failing to respond to some of the Power related IPMI poling queries.  The errors only appear to be generated when OMPC is trying to run a power query, but the thermal queries all appear to be fine in our lab.  I will continue to work with Engineering to find root cause and determine if a fix can be created.

August 4th, 2015 05:00

Hi,

This issue fixed in iDRAC 1.99 firmware. You can download it from http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=0F12K

Regards,

Sony

No Events found!