Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 30th, 2012 06:00

snmp monitoring of the Dell UPS Environment module

We purchased a Dell UPS Rack/Tower 2700W HV - 230V. Now we want to monitor the device with SNMP monitoring using snmp polling.

Is there a possibility to monitor the temperature and humidity of the UPS ? I can't seem to find the OID's for temperature and humidity.

Also, I see that the Battery charge level of the UPS stays on 95% in stead of 100%. Is this normal or is this a calibration problem ? If this is a calibration problem, how can I recalibrate the UPS ?

44 Posts

August 31st, 2012 10:00

Hi Jeroen,

There's a couple of things you'll need to do:

1. Make sure your NMC firmware is up to the latest revision (01.14.0003 (A05))

2. Make sure you have the latest MIB for the NMC (Release 3)

3. You will need the Environmental Monitoring Probe module and plug that into the NMC.

This will allow you to capture the traps for over (or under) threshold alarms.  You can set these thresholds either on the NMC web interface or through the new software (don't use the version that comes with the UPS, use the new version available for download from www.dellups.com).  At this point the OID doesn't capture the actual temperature or humidity readings, just the alarms when the thresholds are exceeded.

All the firmware and MIB information is available on dellups.com -> Software & Technical Documentation -> Search "Dell UPS Accessories" from the dropdown and choose "Firmware Updates".

A final point is that you might also want to upgrade your UPS firmware to ensure you have all the latest settings.  You can also find the latest UPS firmware on the website (A07, 01.14.0003).

About the battery charge - this is part of the Advanced Battery Management charging cycle which is designed to extend battery life over the typical approach of trickle charging the cells.  The ABM cycle is of Charge Mode (until batteries are fully charged), Float Mode (~48hours), Rest Mode (up to 28 days where you will see the % charge reduce but only slightly and withinn the tolerance of the runtime you expect at your given load).  Your battery is probably in rest mode at the moment so give it a few days and see how it responds.  If you want to force the UPS back into the Charge Mode part of the cycle you could pull the mains input and run on battery for a minute and this will reset the cycle. 

Hope this helps.

Andy

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2012 01:00

I was hoping I could monitor the temperature and humidity trough SNMP polling for visualization in our monitor tool but I guess I will have to configure the traps instead.

Thanks for the answer !

1 Message

June 12th, 2017 06:00

Hello Andy,

we have many DELL UPS and we hope you develop better SW with option monitoring temp and humidity. Do you plan it? If not, next time we will only buy APC, their SW is very nice.

Many thanks,

Radek

June 13th, 2017 06:00

Hi Radek,

Your question about thermal monitoring - Dell provides a FREE, standalone console (OpenManage Power Center) that monitors, reports and alerts server power and thermal issues.    The links below will provide the most current information.  Stay tuned for our new release later this month. Feel free to contact me, Lori Matthews - Product Manager for OMPC, with any questions or if you'd like a demo.   lori.matthews@dell.com

Tech Center Page
 http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/power-cooling/w/wiki/3534.dell-openmanage-power-center

Dell OpenManage Power Center (overview and FREE registration/download)
 http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/dell-openmanage-power-center/pd

No Events found!