Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 16th, 2016 10:00

2.5 drive thickness in R430 8bay chassis

Hello 

I just purchased the PowerEdge R430 with 8-Bay 2.5 inch HotPlug chassis (with H330). 

What thickness 2.5 drives can I have in there? Will this one work? It is 15mm thickness and not the normal 7 or 9.5 mm that we see in 2.5inch drives. - https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Laptop-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST4000LM016/dp/B01C4VZO7G

NOTE - This is for local user data store on the server and will be Raid 1. I understand this is not an Enterprise Drive, but it will be used very infrequently and for the GB/$ its the best bet - even if we kill a few every year (yes it will be backed up so not too worried about data loss). 

Thanks for the input. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 16th, 2016 15:00

Hello.

The drive carriers can take up to 15 mm thick/high drives. It is something you can test. For reliable operation, I would recommend that you use enterprise class drives that are certified by Dell

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

November 18th, 2016 09:00

Hello

I am currently planning on replacing existing SAS drives on a Dell R630( H730 mini 1GB) with Samsung 850 Pro (OR Samsung EVO 850 if I can get away with it).

I understand that these are non-dell certified and will show as Amber light, but numerous people have reported them to work properly.

My question is, in a RAID volume, if 1 SSD failed, will I still get alert (by email???) 

Second question - on such a failure, will it pickup the hot spare (same make model ssd) correctly or will manual intervention be required?

Thanks!

Chirag

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

Hello

I am getting a new R630  with 8-Bay 2.5

I want to know if I can have a Hot Spare assigned to specific RAID? My Raid config will be:

1. Raid #1 -- 2 SSD in RAID 1
  2. Raid #2 - 4 HDD in RAID 10

That takes up 6 disks

I want to have 1 Hot Spare SSD for Raid #1 and 1 Hot Spare HDD for Raid #2

I have not done this before, so wanted to check if this is possible. 

I know I can assign a Global Hot Spare, but since my disks are different (SSD vs HDD), I am not sure if a Global Hot Spare would work.

Please advise.

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

Thanks! 

1 Rookie

• 

32 Posts

November 18th, 2016 11:00

My work just ordered (and delivered today) an R630 server. 

I just noticed that there is only 1 power supply (750 W)... What do I need (dell part numbers) to add in a redundant power supply? Is the procedure outlined somewhere?

Thanks!

• 

6.2K Posts

November 18th, 2016 12:00

Hello

If you have a lot of questions then keep them in a single thread. Don't spam the forum with new threads for every question you have about the systems you just received.

I have combined all of your threads.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 21st, 2016 09:00

Global Hot Spares are not  assigned to specific RAID arrays. A Global HS  kicks in event of failure of a drive in a given array. For your case, you may have 2 Global HS, one for from SSD and the other from ordinary HDD. Global HS are taken from independent drives in a controller in a READY state. See page 80 of the PERC 9 Users' Manual: http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-rc-h730p_User's%20Guide_en-us.pdf 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 21st, 2016 10:00

I just noticed that there is only 1 power supply (750 W)... What do I need (dell part numbers) to add in a redundant power supply? Is the procedure outlined somewhere?

The power supplies are hot swap and need to be of the same type and wattage. Here is Dell P/N for a sinilar 750 W power supply, V1YJ6

No Events found!