Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

June 14th, 2016 02:00

2 Disks fail at same time

HI

I have a Dell R510 that contains multiple 2TB Drives in Raid10.

Earlier this year 2 Drives failed at the same time, once we replace those drives data was lost and we had to rebuild the server.

Today I noticed the server was down and bios was complaining of disk issues, I plugged the server out and reseatted each drive.

The OS boots but shows Degraded state.

When I check in open manager, again it shows 2 disks failed.. i'm wondering if this is possibly wrong as last time it shows 2 failed.. its not the same disks this time.

I have a single disk replacement on delivery today.. wondering if its possibly just 1 disk failed.. and how do I know which one of the 2 to replace..

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 14th, 2016 10:00

Hello.

Earlier this year 2 Drives failed at the same time, once we replace those drives data was lost and we had to rebuild the server.

It is likely that you either replaced wrong drives or the drives that failed belonged to the same span

When I check in open manager, again it shows 2 disks failed.. i'm wondering if this is possibly wrong as last time it shows 2 failed.. its not the same disks this time.

You can run diagnostics on the drives using the LifeCycle Controller to be sure but results may not be that accurate as the drives are shown as unsupported on this server hence uncertified. I would recommend that you use Dell certified/supported drives. Normally on the front of the server, a failed drives blinks with orange or amber LED. You can also use OpenManage to blink the enumerated drives for identification purposes. It is best if you replaced both drives instead of just one as the VD status will remain as degraded.

No Events found!