Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 4th, 2018 02:00

2 HD blinking Green/orange

Hello,

I just check servers from one of my customers, 2 hard drives have LED blinking green/orange. I suppose there is/will be an issue (doc said

The server is a PowerEdge R720xd. I used RAID 5, with 6 HD of 4TB each.

We record video on the logical drive (so we write a lot).

How should I procede to resolve the issue ? should I install Dell OpenManage (and so stop writing service) or procede from bios mode ?

What procedure should I follow to resolve that ? And how to procede with 2 HD ?

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

January 4th, 2018 10:00

Hello

Green and amber generally indicate a predictive failure state on a driver. That means the drive is still functional and being used, but it has a lot of bad blocks and is expected to fail at any moment.

should I install Dell OpenManage

Yes, I would install one of our management applications to verify the issue.

And how to procede with 2 HD ?

That will depend on what the issue is and what the capabilities of the RAID controller are. If the drives are predictive failure then it is best practice to run a consistency check before replacing. Since there are two drives that need to be replaced and RAID 5 is n+1 you will need to replace them one at a time. You should not replace the second drive until the first has completed the rebuild.

https://www.dell.com/perc

Thanks

2 Posts

January 5th, 2018 00:00

Hello,

What is a consistency check, how I do it (ok, found www.dell.com/.../perc---how-to-perform-a-check-consistency-using-openmanage-server-administrator )? What results should I expect ? Should I stop read/write actions on disk before this check ?

If I need to replace HD, should I do it in windows or in pre-boot tool ?

No Events found!