Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

March 31st, 2016 02:00

2 RAID controllers PERC 6/i on a DELL PowerEdge

Hi there,

i just receive a DELL PowerEdge reconditionned (not sure this term is good), it seems that the server is based on a C2100.

I have 2 RAID controller in it and 12 Hdd. When i launch the LSI bios to configure RAID, i can see 8 hdd on the first controller and 4 hdd on the second. How can i "merge" the 2 controllers in 1 in order to configure RAID 6 with all the 12 hdd?

OR is it possible to create a redundancy with these 2 controllers, with one controller with 12 hdd and in case of failure, the second controller is sollicitated?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Alex

• 

6.2K Posts

March 31st, 2016 14:00

Hello

I have 2 RAID controller in it and 12 Hdd. When i launch the LSI bios to configure RAID, i can see 8 hdd on the first controller and 4 hdd on the second. How can i "merge" the 2 controllers in 1 in order to configure RAID 6 with all the 12 hdd?

No

OR is it possible to create a redundancy with these 2 controllers, with one controller with 12 hdd and in case of failure, the second controller is sollicitated?

No

What you are wanting to do is not possible with these controllers. The types of features you are inquiring about are generally only available in storage appliances.

You could run software RAID on top of the hardware RAID to have redundancy across the two controllers, but I would not recommend layering RAID like that.

Thanks

No Events found!