Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2011 12:00

6Gbps SATA drives on H700 - should they kick down to 3Gbps when controller only supports 3Gbps?

I loaded up a new T710 with an H700 with four 3TB/7200/64mb/6Gbps SATA drives, but they are not recognized and do not show up with Ctrl-R.

In the documentation, it appears that the H700 supports 6Gbps only on SAS, not SATA. Shouldn't the 6Gbps SATA drives operate at 3Gbps (backwards compatible)?

18 Posts

August 5th, 2011 13:00

I contacted Seagate and they said that the drive is backwards compatible with 1.5 and 3gbps and autonegotiates the speed. Can anyone provide some input on this? Model # is: ST33000651AS SY

thanks.

884 Posts

August 6th, 2011 12:00

If the drives do not light up on the front either, than they may not be in the carrier correctly. I would check to make sure that they are connecting to the backplane correctly.

If they are lighting up, then there may be an issue with the controller being able to properly communicate with the drives. The only way you could really verify that is with a controller log.

3Gbps should work on that controller from what I understand.

18 Posts

August 6th, 2011 14:00

Thanks for responding on this - much appreciated. I had a couple threads going (got carried away :-)), and yes, last night I discovered that the drive tray screw holes were labeled backwards. Once I used the screw holes designated SAS, they worked perfectly. Even better, they are negotiating 6Gbps, which seems sort of contrary to what the transition pdf document said, but i'm not complaining.

Someone requested performance benchmarks on the other thread, so I'll post them in a couple of days. These are desktop class drives - but are using RAID and I'm backing up twice per day - it's for lab use only. Drives are 3TB/7200/64mb/6Gbps.

No Events found!