Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2009 10:00

A search for the right cable.

This is in reference to Poweredge T105, and using RAID Controller 5/ir or 6/ir with SATA drives.

The type of cable needed is a SAS fan out cable (SAS-8484 to four SATA connectors).

This cable is the cable I bought and works:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Cables/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=04&sku=A1605905

However, there is a clearance issue with the T105. The connector end of the HD sticks out towards the right side of the case. When that cable is plugged in, with the cable bent at a 90 degree angle, it interferes with the side panel of the case when you attempt to close it. I actually tore away a bit of the black rubber on the end of the SATA connector (where the cable goes into the connector) so I could bend the cable up closer to the drive. This actually allowed me to close the side panel, but there is still some interference (but not enough to where it is a problem). I don't like this setup though.

What I would like to find, is the actual dell cable that has 90 degree sata connectors that account for the clearance problem. I just spent 40 minutes on the phone with dell parts and tech support with no resolve. So I am hoping someone here has ran across that part number.

BTW for future reference, the part number for the HD fans that are also needed is: FY606 and ran for about 18 bucks a pop. Only one is needed per machine.

9.3K Posts

October 27th, 2009 11:00

I believe this should be the cable you're looking for. If you want to look for other vendors, the (Dell) part number would be FY227.

20 Posts

October 28th, 2009 08:00

That looks to be it, thanks.

Another question:

It looks like this cable connects only two drives in photos that I have found of it. Since I have the system up already, and the cable I am currently using supports 4 drives, I wonder if using FY227 would place me on the same two channels on the raid contoller. If not, I wonder if i could migrate the discs to whatever channels that cable uses, and still maintain my current virtual disk. Any ideas?

20 Posts

October 30th, 2009 13:00

That looks to be it, thanks.

Another question:

It looks like this cable connects only two drives in photos that I have found of it. Since I have the system up already, and the cable I am currently using supports 4 drives, I wonder if using FY227 would place me on the same two channels on the raid contoller. If not, I wonder if i could migrate the discs to whatever channels that cable uses, and still maintain my current virtual disk. Any ideas?

Well FY227 uses channels 0 and 1, and luckily my subconscious put both drives on 0 and 1 on the fanout cable :D As a result, I managed to get it swapped in and working just fine :)

Thanks for pointing out that cable.

EDIT: Forgot to include a diagram that helped me:

http://www.cs-electronics.com/PDF/10-SAS-847P-xm%20p2_doc.pdf

No Events found!