Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 11th, 2014 10:00

Add second raid controller to T610

Currently have T610 with Serial Attached Scsi, SAS6/IR, Integrated with 2 SATA 1Tb drives.

I need to improve performace (disk queues are too high) so I want to add more drives.

2 questions.

Can I add 2 SAS drives and use the existing integrated SAS/6IR (2 logical drives, one SATA and One SAS

Reason is I have an intel board with intel RAID controller that I tried to mix on same controller and one of the SAS always tends to fail

OR

Can I add a second controller card and put in 2 SAS drives and connect to that second controller. I do not have easy access to the box, so I am not sure if the hard drive backplane is configured to take 2 controllers.

Thanks

261 Posts

September 11th, 2014 13:00

Hi Bob,

You are allowed to use a mix of SAS and SATA drives as long as they are on separate VD's such as you are wanting.  The SAS6iR will support a maximum of 2 VD's (either RAID 0 or 1), so you're good there also.  You will not be allowed to use two internal RAID controllers. 

However, you may also consider moving to the PERC 6i controller. The cache will help your performance issues. 

5 Posts

September 12th, 2014 07:00

Thanks.

Can I upgrade to a Perc6i that will do 6Gb transfer? and I assume that will plug into the existing backplane

Hard drives queue times are causing issues with QuickBooks and Exchange

5 Posts

September 12th, 2014 08:00

Also if I put in a new Raid card any easy way to move existing drives without doing full backup and restore to them?

No Events found!