Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2018 19:00

Added drive to PERC H330 raid 5, see the drive but didn't gain the space

I had an existing 4 disc raid 5 array totaling 2793GB. I added another 1TB drive and used the BIOS utility to add it to the virtual drive. It added the new drive, but once it was done it still showed only the same 2793GB. If I check the 'physical discs on 'VirtualDisc' screen, it does show the new one was added, and has the correct size (of each disc) etc, and they all show as online and none are marked as a hot spare, so I'm not sure what went wrong.

Any ideas?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 13:00

Have you restarted the system since making the change? Our management applications do not always update correctly when changes like this are made. It looks like OMSA in the pictures, you can try restarting the OMSA services to see if it updates. The services should start with DSM. If nothing changes with restarting services then I suggest restarting the server. I would also check the controller BIOS during the restart to see how the drives are listed there.

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 09:00

Hello

Changing the virtual disk size does not affect space availability within the operating system. If you increase the size of the virtual disk you will need to create or expand partitions within the operating system to use the space.

Thanks

19 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 12:00

Thanks Daniel, but I meant in the virtual disc properties in the dell raid configuration itself. It shows that the raid 5 array/virtual disc now has 5 individual 1TB (931G) drives BUT it shows that the capacity of that raid five virtual disc with 5 1TB drives is STILL only 3TB. 

Again, all five discs show as on line and not hot spares, and as part of THAT virtual disc. It previously had 4 1TB drives and showed 3TB of available space, it now has 5 1TB drives and in that virtual disc and STILL shows 3TB available space. 

And again, all this is in the dell configurator. I can't do anything with the OS partition till the dell raid controller figures out how much space is there, and that's what I'm trying to resolve, why the dell configuration sees there are 5 1TB drives in the raid 5 virtual disc, but still thinks that virtual disc has only 3TB available, as it did BEFORE I added the new physical drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RG72H6AjSdk9AsGcY3xs86NT7zGSKoPq

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GzPjdY7gWonq92WdyWBDm3sxcCVbAvi7

19 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 14:00

Thanks Daniel, I did redo the array in the BIOS utility, so i shut it down, restarted, then went into the raid utility and added the drive, it showed it was initializing, and restarted the server again after adding it and booted into vmware as it finished. 

All that to say, I restarted after it began initializing, but not after it completed. I'll give that a try as soon as I can get everyone off that system and see if it 'refreshes'.

I'll check back in if it doesn't...

19 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 17:00

Yep that did it. I guess it needed to be refreshed after it initialized. Thanks again!

No Events found!