Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2008 20:00

Adding additional EIDE hard drive, should be simple?

I have a PowerEdge 600SC server and trying to add another hard drive.  I thought that this should be simple, but apparently having some difficulty.  Currently have a hard drive and CD drive on the primary cable and just a 20GB WD drive on the second IDE cable.  I am trying to add another drive to that second cable.  Currently the 20GB hard drive is using the CSEL jumper setup and can run on either the middle connector of the cable or the end connector.  I tried adding the new WD hard drive to that cable with the CSEL jumper setup on both the middle connector and the end connector, but whenever it is on the cable, the BIOS does not see either hard drive. As soon as I remove the new hard drive, the BIOS sees the original hard drive.  Is there something that I missed?  Both hard drives support CSEL as does the motherboard.

Don't know if it matters, but since trying the new hard drive (did not touch the jumpers on the original 20GB drive), I get "Warning: Dell's Disk Monitoring System has detected that drive 0 on the secondary EIDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications...".  If I hit F1 to continue, it boots up and I can access that drive fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

No Responses!
No Events found!