Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2017 05:00

Better SSD throughput on R710

I recently purchased an off lease R710 from ebay with 144 GB of RAM and dual X-5650s to run my home esxi lab. It works great and I absolutely love the box. My previous esxi home lab was built around a ( now 7 year old) Gateway PC with a core-i7 and 16 GB of RAM. 

For disks this R710 has the 8 bay 2.5 inch cage. Right now I have 2 x 500GB SSD in a RAID0, and then 1x240GB SSD, and 1 x 500 GB SSD as single disk VDs. 

The controller is a 6i. I've read quite a bit about how terrible that controller is for SSD disks. They work fine, but I suspect they could be quite a bit faster. 

My question is how much performance gain should I expect to see if I went to, say, a H700? Also, will the current drive configurations be kept? It would be a pretty big task for me to rebuild all my virtual machines right now. And not just that, but my firewall right now is a vm on that box too. So, the less down time the better (though I can easily put my ASA 5505 back in place, or throw Untangle on the old esx box as a firewall in the meantime if needed).

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

February 8th, 2017 15:00

H700 is a 6Gbps controller, the PERC 6 is 3Gbps, so there will be "some" increase there, but there is also a chance that the SSD's won't know how to successfully negotiate the full 6Gbps speeds with the controller.

Migration of PERC 6 VD's to an H700 is supported.

13 Posts

February 9th, 2017 06:00

I'm curious how performance gain I would see. If I do just a default run of CrystalDiskMark 5.2.1, I see a max read of 303.6 MB/s    3 Gbps should theoretically be 375 MB/s    

I'm not sure if I would get closer to 500-600 MB/s with a controller upgrade, or not. It's a bit of a pricey experiment for me. I can't find an H700 for less than $200 with shipping, etc.

I missed your most recent response before typing this one. Just consider this me thinking out loud :)

13 Posts

Thanks for the response. I wonder if anyone here has some disk performance numbers for SSD on H700. That would be a very helpful comparison. 

When you say migration is supported, is that simply booting up and following the on screen menus? Or is there a more complicated process?

Thank you!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Thanks for the response. I wonder if anyone here has some disk performance numbers for SSD on H700. That would be a very helpful comparison. 

I don't know of any, but there probably are someplace. Non-certified drives may experience any number of issues. The most common ones are not negotiating the correct speeds and not showing the proper status lights on the tray.

When you say migration is supported, is that simply booting up and following the on screen menus? Or is there a more complicated process?

You power down, replace the 6 with the H700, when you power up, it may import the configuration automatically, but if not go to the CTRL-R utility for the PERC, F2, Foreign, Import if it did not import it.

July 2nd, 2018 23:00

The PERC H700 is on the ESXi compatibility list.  Make sure you update all the firmware on the PERC controller card, and the BIOS. at LEAST 6.4.0    6.5.0 is out and it addresses the Heartbleed/spectre issue.  I have successful test going from PCIe SSD to RAID10 with 15K RPM SAS spindle drive at 700+ MB/s Write speed to the spindle array, which far exceeds the 1GB NIC (120MB/s throughput on the LAN).  Use the Samsung 850 pro or 860 Pro SSD's for OS, you can pickup a CDROM SSD caddy 12.7mm for the OS, it will run at 3.0GB but it's good enough for OS, EVO's won't work they won't know how to handle the RAID. the latest version of the PERC h700 Firmware https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=2948g BIOS 6.5.0 https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=1y3xn I use a Windows installation to update the bios firmware and lifecycle controller. It make is alot easier.  I get phenomeonal performance out of these R710 servers. I've also had great success with Hyper-V 2016 and have since switch myself and my clients from ESXi to Hyper-V. Because with Hyper-v we can use vmotion for free, though hyper-v calls it replication.

4 Posts

February 26th, 2019 13:00

Just curious.. I know this is an old thread, but have you disabled c-states in the BIOS?  I've read this can improve performance as well.  

No Events found!