Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2015 13:00

Bios limitations on number of SAS devices in 11G servers?

Hello.

I've got an R515 with (12) 3TB drives, bios 2.21.  I have added an LSI 9300-8e HBA to control an external storage device holding (32) 4TB SAS drives. 

The problem I have is that the bios count on bootup shows only 24 devices.  However, if you jump into the LSI bios, it will show all 32 external drives.  Also, the storage device connected to a "had-built" supermicro server with an Intel motherboard will show all (32) drives.

Is there a cap on the number of drives the R515/bios will show/count/use?  The controller is a 6GB sata/12GB sas HBA.

Thanks

jeff

• 

6.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2015 17:00

Hello Jeff

I'm not aware of a 24 drive limitation on external controllers by the R515. The detected devices would be what is presented to the system. If all 32 drives were in one large RAID array then the system would see it as one device. You should check to see if any of your drives are in an array. Has the enclosure configuration changed since you tested it on the other system? You might want to connect it to that system again to check.

Thanks

2 Posts

April 24th, 2015 09:00

Thanks for the reply.  As far as I can tell, none of the drives are in a previous RAID array.  I'm very familiar with setting Raids up on Dells and also using Dell MD1000s.  This is a different situation:  I'm using a 3rd party device with an LSI controller.  Other than that, everything looks fine.  The count just stops at 24:  3 groups of 8. 

0-7 pause 8-15 pause 16-23 then continues with the rest of the bootup.

jeff

No Events found!