Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2011 16:00

Can't get any OS to install on PowerEdge 1750

I'm having some problems with this and it driving me nuts. This is the 1st Rackmount Dell I have worked on. Other then that I worked on a tower. But the part that I have not done anything with is SCSI hard drives.

So maybe someone here can help me. I got a Dell PowerEdge 1750, it has 2 Maxtor 36GB SCSI drives in it. The server was using RAID to mirror the main drive before it was wiped and replaced. So now the server is to be setup with Linux and it does not matter if the drivers are mirrored in RAID at all.

So I tried installing Ubuntu server OS and it keeps saying it can't find the drivers for the hard drives. I tried some drivers here at DELL that were for Red Hat and it didn't work.

I then tried a copy of Red Hat Linux 8.0 and got the same problem that Ubuntu gave me.

So  getting fed up, I tried a copy of Windows XP Home that was sitting by a retired workstation. Same problem, Windows couldn't find the hard drives. I download the PERC 4/Di drivers for windows server 2000 and 2003 (x84). Tried loading them to see if the drivers would allow me to install the OS or not. Never worked.

Last try, I popped a copy of Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition in and it had the same problem as XP, so I pop the  PERC 4/Di drivers in and picked the driver for Windows Server 2003 and it still didn't find the hard drives.

What am I doing wrong ?

POST INFO:

Embedded Server Management Firmware Revision 1.80

Primary Backplane Firmware Revision 1.01

PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller BIOS B109 Feb 18, 2003

PERC 4/Di Standard FW 4.04

0 Logical Drives found on host adapter

0 Logical Drive(s)  handled by BIOS

Broadcom NetXtreme handled by BIOS Boot Agent V7.0.3

I not sure if that noraml or not, I do think it funny it finds 0 Logical Drives but when you go into the configuration they both show up in there.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 30th, 2011 19:00

PERC's do not support non-RAID (JBOD), so whether you want them mirrored or not, you must configure the drives in the PERC BIOS (CTRL-M) ... or turn it off and use the system's SCSI-only controller.

If you want to use the drives as separate/individual drives, you need to configure each drive as a single-disk RAID 0.

If you want to turn off RAID and use them in SCSI-only mode, then you will need to boot to the BIOS Setup (F2), Integrated Devices, and set Embedded RAID to SCSI Enabled.

The fact that POST says 0 Logical Drives found indicates that the drives are not configured - remember, the drives must be configured in some sort of array before they are usable by the OS.  So, it should be showing at least one logical drive before installation can ever be successful.

Once RAID is configured, then you will need to worry about drivers.

2 Posts

May 1st, 2011 12:00

Thank you so much, I would of never figured that out I don't say. I never had to deal with SCSI and I don't do any RAID.

I could not find SCSI-only at first. Only RAID off. But after setting it to RAID off and Rebooting, the option was there for SCSI only. I then popped in the install disk for ubuntu and everything worked fine, found both hard drives and never once asked for drivers.

Thank you again for the detailed help :emotion-1:

Elochai

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 1st, 2011 14:00

No problem :)

June 12th, 2011 18:00

<>

1 Message

March 23rd, 2015 22:00

I have a 1750 too.  window XP wont' detect the PRED4i and will give you a blue screen.  Install Vista 32bits instead.   I have been running Vista 32 bits on mine for two weeks now, no problem what so ever.

Centos7 will work fine too.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 24th, 2015 09:00

Your problem was drivers.

No Events found!