Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2016 07:00

Cannot reconfigure RAID5, Expand VD size option greyed out on H710 mini

H710 mini installed on a R320 server.

3 Sata drives in a RAID5 group, 1 VD

1 Sata drive not configured

All drives the same make, and model,

I'm trying to add the 4th disk and expand the VD but the Expand VD size option is greyed out.

Installing OMSA is not an option on the server.

What am I missing here?

1 Attachment

3 Posts

May 10th, 2016 12:00

thanks you for the response but it looks like I'm the problem ;)

It's actually a 2 step process to get this working.

1 -  System setup (f2) --> device settings --> h710 management --> VD Management --> Reconfigure VD --> Selected Raid 5 -->  Select new disk --> click apply.

then, the screen goes back to the previous menu

2 - Make sure Raid 5 is still selected, click apply again

voila...

3 Posts

May 10th, 2016 07:00

I also tried going through the system setup (f2) --> device settings --> h710 management --> VD Management --> Reconfigure VD --> Selected Raid 5, added the new disk, and clicked apply.

It accepted the change, however when I look at the VD in the bios or raid bios nothing has changed.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Hello.

Reconfiguration of RAID array can not be performed in the controller BIOS. Yes, in the absence of OMSA the same operation be done via System Setup as you have indicated above. It is likely that the controller is having communication issues that have caused the VD reconfiguration to fail. Reply to my e-mail and attach the DSET or controller logs for further analysis. If for some reasons you can not upload the DSET report, I suggest that you review the hardware logs for any clues as to why VD reconfiguration has failed.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Nice to hear that you got it figured out and everything is good. I was seriously perplexed as to why the VD reconfiguration would not work and I started to think that there may be underlying hardware issues that required to be examined. Let us know when you any further questions. Cheers!

No Events found!