Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 27th, 2016 10:00

Clearing Virtual Disk Bad Block has any impact/data loss issue on my existing data ?

Hi,

We have a Server running with 4 HDD configured with RAID 5 with no Hot Spare. 2 HDD and Virtual Disk were showing error (not failed), So we replaced with new HDD then HDD error were removed and running well. But The Virtual Disk showing the error still.

How can we remove this error ? Here has a option to 'Clear Virtual Disk Bad Block', If we run this option, will it has any data loss issue, the server running with several VM with critical and important data.

Suggestion needs from you experience guys. Appreciate your help.

Thank you

• 

8.5K Posts

December 28th, 2016 08:00

JAMSHEDUDDIN,

Normally when the drives are optimal, but the controller is still showing an error, then it is likely an issue with the raid controller being behind on its firmware. Could you clarify the firmware version for the raid controller, as well as where the BIOS and iDrac are on revisions as well? Now with the clearing the bad blocks, I would suggest having a backup of the data before doing anything with the controller, but clearing the blocks shouldn't endanger the data, as the controller moves the data from those bad blocks when they are discovered.

Let me know.

No Events found!