Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2015 01:00

Creating RAID 1 with existing OS

If I've already created the Operating system on a Dell PowerEdge R620 server, which has 2 disks and I know that the OS is on one of the disks and I know the disks are RAID0. Is it possible to create a RAID 1 array with the 2 disks and still have the OS running, after booting up. Will the data be deleted, if I try and create the RAID 1 array.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 4th, 2015 14:00

If they are both RAID 0's now, yes, you can convert them to a single RAID 1. You must delete the RAID 0 with the disk that does NOT contain the OS, then you need to do a "reconfigure" to RAID 1, adding the no-non-RAID disk. This is all done from OMSA in the OS. It will all happen while the system is live and online.

• 

6.2K Posts

December 4th, 2015 14:00

Hello

Reconfiguration options are discussed in the storage management manual under the virtual disk section:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dell-opnmang-srvr-admin-v8.0.1/manuals

You can reconfigure a RAID 0 to a RAID 1, but there are limitations. A RAID 1 is  two physical disks, so you can't reconfigure a 2 drive RAID 0 to a RAID 1 because you will have a disk of data that the controller will have nowhere to place.

Thanks

No Events found!