Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2012 06:00

DELL POWER EDGE 1950 WINDOWS Server 2003 CRASHED

Hi geeks,

i have Dell power edge 1950 raid 1. two drives in parallel. some how OS (win server 2003) has crashes. giving error " press f1 to retry boot or f2 to set". The only solution that is available for us is reinstallation of windows.BUT!,  i came to know that reinstalling windows will format all the data that was unacceptable me. Please help so that we reinstall the OS without formating the data OR any other data saving option.Urgent help required.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 7th, 2012 08:00

You need to find out why the system is stopping at F1/F2.  Is there another message during POST indicating a problem ... fan, drive, controller, etc.?  What RAID controller do you have?  During POST, do you see a CTRL-C or a CTRL-R?  IF you enter that utility, what do you see regarding the RAID setup?

If you want to install without wiping out data/programs, you can do a "repair" install.  This will leave programs and data intact, but will reset all your settings to default.  However, if you have a hardware problem, doing a repair install without resolving the hardware error, then it may not do you any good - in fact, it may make things worse.

support.microsoft.com/.../325375

No Events found!