Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

5 Posts

March 26th, 2020 01:00

DELL T620 H710 Openmanage Virtual Disk Reconfiguration shown only RAID-0

I have Radi-5 with 7 hard drives as the following:
One of them is "Failure Detected = Yes".
4 hard drives are online and OK
2 hard drives are in ready state

I want to add one of the 2 ready drives to the Virtual Drive 0. When I use Open Manage in step #2, it shows only RAID-0. There is no option in the dropdown menu to select RAID-5 as it should be.

How to add one disk to this virtual drive without loosing any data and online using OpenManage and it should be RAID-5 not RAID-0?

My problem as I described above is that there is only one item in the dropdown menu showing only RAID-0 in step 2 of reconfiguring the virtual Disk, while RAID-5 IS MISSING in this dropdown menu!

FYI: I plan to use the second ready state drive after that to be Hot Spare.

• 

8.8K Posts

March 26th, 2020 12:00

Tareksalah,

The first thing I would do is to update the server to current on BIOS, iDrac, Raid Controller, drives, as well as the latest OpenManage. Then I would address the Predicted Failure, as anything else can cause issues. Now if the Predicted Failure drive is still Online, you will need to force it Offline before you replace it. After doing those two things, let me know if the Raid displays correctly.

Thanks.

April 16th, 2020 02:00

Thank you. I am sorry that I did not get in touch with the servers because I work from home. It is Corona Virus days.
Today, I replaced the predicted failure hard drive using your instructions.
Could you please guide me to an easy way to update the firmware and other drivers! My goal is to add one more hard drive to my virtual disks online. My problem is that it shows only Raid-0 while it should be Raid-5 in the dropdown menu of reconfiguring the virtual disks.

• 

3.4K Posts

April 16th, 2020 02:00

Hi,

Great to know that the predicted failed drive have been replace. May I know if the rebuild of the virtual disk has been successful, on the replaced drive? 

Before we proceed, I need to understand your configuration, you mentioned that you have RAID5 with 7 drives. 2 of the drives have be in ready state? RAID 5 does not allow 2 drives to be out from it's RAID configuration. It's only N-1, which only 1 drive is allowed either to be removed, or failed. Can you let me know your configuration from drive0 to drive6, how it is configured. 

Here are various ways to update firmware: https://dell.to/3cfavsS

The easiest way would be using iDRAC or LCC. 

April 23rd, 2020 03:00

Raid.jpgRaidP.jpgRaidV.jpgAs you can see when I try to add more disks "After unassigning hot spare", It shows mee only Raid-0. Meanwhile, In the layout column, it shows that I already have Raid-5.

This is the problem that I want to choose Raid-5 not Raid-0 to be able to reconfigure the Virtual Disk 0 and add more disks to it in the same Raid-5.

I want to reconfigure the virtual disks online without restarting the server or go to BIOS settings.

No Events found!