Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2013 09:00

Dell PowerEdge 1950 III PERC6 - Replace Disks - RAID 1

Hi All,

I hope I am not repeating an already asked question.

I am looking for some instruction on how I can replace my current disks for larger disks. Currently 2x 146Gb New 2x 300Gb. Can I simply enter the RAID BIOS config and take 1 disk off line, insert new disk and re-build the array? - then repeat for second disk?

The goal here is simply to replace disks for larger disks without loosing current data.

Thanks for any advice :O)

• 

8.7K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 09:00

Hi cerriex,

The only supported method is to backup and recreate the array and restore, however you can try the following steps and it usually works in expanding the array, it is similar to what you described with some additional steps. Please do a full backup prior to making any array changes in case there are any issues.

1. Take disk 1 offline.

2. Replace drive and let it rebuild.

3. Take Disk 0 offline.

4. Replace drive and let it rebuild.

5. Go into PERC6 BIOS (ctrl+R) and delete the existing array.

6. Create new array with the larger size. DO NOT INITIALIZE.

7. Reboot to the OS and it should be seen as unconfigured space.

8. Create new paritions or expand existing ones using OS tools.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 3rd, 2013 10:00

Be warned, however, that the "retag" that Josh describes is ONLY a byproduct and side-effect of a recovery process.  It was never designed to expand an array and will create unstable array space.  I would strongly recommend against a retag for this purpose.  An alternative:  If you replace each disk individually as you describe, you could then create a second array across the disks using the extra space.  This will be presented to the OS as a separate "disk", so the space could not be joined to any existing disk space.  But if you just need additional space, even if it is from another "disk" or partition, then it may work for you.  

No Events found!