Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2012 11:00

Dell PowerEdge 2950 II, HDD Question ??

I just received a Dell PowerEdge 2950 II for free. The only catch, the HDD's and Memory have been pulled out.

I need to get a Hard Drive for it, but im only gonna be using this server for home use. Just networking practice, and maybe home media stuff. 

I just plan on hooking it to my few pieces of Cisco gear for schooling practice. So I don't need a crazy fast Hard Drive.

My question is, do I HAVE to use the dell drives made for this ?? I seen 3.5" HDD tray's for the 2950 for $10-15. Can I just use a normal / consumer 3.5" Sata 7,200 rpm drive with this drive tray. I know that you wouldn't do this in a real environment, but I really don't have the money for those expensive drives. And this is just for home use. Or will they not work?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

You don't "have" to use Dell drives (not made by Dell btw ... made for Dell).  You may run into problems ranging from the disk not being seen, to the disk falling offline randomly.

I would recommend trying here for certified drives - cheap:

www.xbyte.com/Items.aspx

Also, for memory:

www.xbyte.com/ProductDesc.aspx

• 

6.2K Posts

Hello hxdrummerxc

Yes, you can. I have various Dell servers in my home lab, including 2x2950's. There are no restrictions on firmware, so you don't have to use Dell drives. I have 3rd party drives in my servers and have not had problems.

Just remember that if you do encounter problems with 3rd party equipment in the server it is not supported.

Thanks

No Events found!