Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 17th, 2018 10:00

Dell-PowerEdge R640 - SSD disks keep failing

I wanted to share an incredible (to me anyway) story to know if I'm the only one this happened to or if others also encountered such issues.

Let me start by saying that i have had several dell servers for years with 0 problems. For this reason I decided to order a new DELL R640 with 8 X 800GB SSD disks, 256GB memory, 2 X Intel Xeon Gold 6136 3.0G CPUs.... 

This is a very expensive piece of HW for a small business.

A month after the server arrived and was installed in a server farm the 1st disk failed. I was shocked as i have 3-5 year old dell servers with 0 disk failures... I called support and the disk was replaced. Some time after, a 2nd disk failed and then a 3rd and dell started to investigate and replaced most of the HW and after about 4 months when disks were failing daily... they agreed to replace the server.

After a month, a new server arrived and was installed a week ago. Today the 1st disk failed....

Now Dell suspects that the whole SSD series are defective and they are considering replacing all disks to a different vendor.

has anyone encountered a similar issue?

I seriously don't know what to do. This is delaying our business expansion for 6 months now.

How can two different high end dell server be so problematic and have the same problems?

1 Message

July 23rd, 2018 07:00

hello, good news about your issues?

i'm trying to install windows server 2016 on a raid1 of ssd 240gb kingstone, but i already got them failed 3 times.

maybe you can help me .... and us.

server r440.

now i'm trying to update all firmware through the lifecycle wizard

101 Posts

July 23rd, 2018 13:00

@berberon ,

What brand and model are the SSDs? (Intel S3520 Series, Kingston KC400, Samsung PM863a, etc.)

I would like to do some searching to see if this model has a higher than normal failure rate (and to see what to avoid going forward).

Randy

2 Posts

July 23rd, 2018 22:00

After 7 months, when Dell replaced the server with a new one and the same problem came back they did some more research...

Turned out that the problem was with the Toshiba disks FM.

they replaced all of the disks with Intel disks and for 2 weeks now it seems to run ok.

I'm going to wait a few more weeks b4 i know this relly solved the problem.

A fix for the Toshiba FW should be available by the end of Aug 18. 

No Events found!