Start a Conversation

Unsolved

V

3 Posts

April 15th, 2020 12:00

Dell PowerEdge r730xd Perc H730 Mini

Hello,

Hope someone can help, i would like to re-purpose one of our old Dell PowerEdge r730Xd's for testing.

It has a PERC H730 Mini RAID, i have 12 x 3.5" bay (Front) and 2 x 2.5" bay (Back).

I would ideally like to use 2x2.5" Bays at the back and plug that into the onboard SW raid, i believe its a S120?

Then use the front 12 Bays in HBA mode. I've tried interchanging the SPF connectors on the backplane as well with no luck.

Does this motherboard allow for the onboard SW Raid to work in tandem with a Perc card?

Appreciate any insight, thanks in advance.

• 

3.4K Posts

April 15th, 2020 18:00

Hi,

You can try refer to this manual for cabling. https://dell.to/2z5wXX5

It seems to me that the diagram for Figure 3. Cabling diagram—2.5 Inch (x24) SAS/SATA backplane (option 2)  AND Figure 7. Cabling diagram—3.5 inch (x12) SAS/SATA backplane (option 2) to be same for connecting the flex bay. 

3 Posts

April 16th, 2020 06:00

Hi Joey,

Thanks for your reply.

We have Figure 6. Cabling diagram—3.5 inch (x12) SAS/SATA backplane (option 1).

I would like to use SAS A and put it on the PERC S130. i've putting the SAS A connector to J_SATA_A and J_SATA_B.

But it did not work.

• 

3.4K Posts

April 16th, 2020 19:00

Hi,

Unfortunately, you would not be able to use that configuration, as software and hardware RAID cannot co-exist in a configuration. It's either or. 

3 Posts

April 18th, 2020 11:00

Hi Joey, I have the same issue, figure 6, but with an HBA 330. I would like to let the S130 use the 2x2.5 rear backplane. You're saying it's not possible?

• 

3.4K Posts

April 20th, 2020 02:00

Hi,

I don't think R730XD does support HBA330. Are you able to get it to work with the existing drives in the front? 

The rear flex bay will need to be connected to the front backplane, whilst the backplane is connect to the RAID card, which is H730.

3 Posts

April 20th, 2020 12:00

Hi Joey,

i'm confused, is it possible to get the Flex drives on the S130 Controller? or is it not possible to use the Perc 730 Mini as well as the onboard S130 at the same time? Is it just the 2 x Flex drives in the back not possible for this?

Which brings me to my next question.

Would it possible to use the S130 on for 2 Drives, in the front, say in Slot 0 and Slot 1, or Slot 10 and Slot 11?

• 

3.4K Posts

April 20th, 2020 18:00

Hi @vlt2020 ,

You are right on the 2nd point, it is not possible to use PERC H730 as well as the onboard S130. 

3 Posts

April 21st, 2020 06:00

Hello Joey,

The R730XD indeed supports HBA330 and yes the drives are being seen.

The rear backplane is perfect for the s130 to handle separately, and the cable lengths are right also. So not possible to plug the rear backplane into the motherboards mini-sas ports and have it work separately?

• 

3.4K Posts

April 22nd, 2020 03:00

Hi,

I've gone through the manual as many times as possible, but I'm not able to find any cabling as similar as your situation. I too gave a check that HBA330 won't work but you got it to work, so that portion is good to go. I did look at the cabling diagram, and the BP signal cable must be connected, that makes the front backplane providing the signal to the HBA. But if the flex bay signal cable is connected to the board, I'm not sure if the signal is going to the HBA or S130. Though, all the connections that you're doing right now ain't recommended through cabling manual. 

3 Posts

April 24th, 2020 17:00

Sorry, I meant HBA330 Mini. This connection style is not in the manual.

Seems that the S130 won't be able to see any drives if the front back-plane is connected. Removing the PERC mini card didn't change anything with regards to the S130. 

So, plugging the rear back-plane in the motherboard sas port makes the system complain that it isn't in the right place to plug into.

If I remove the rear back plane and plug a SAS to SATA breakout cable on the motherboard and into the rear drives, the S130 controller doesn't see the drives, although they turn on (I'm using the odd power power port split to 2 SATA) No change if I remove the HBA330 Mini. But if I also disconnect the front back-plane, then the S130 can see the drives with the SATA to SATA breakout cable. I haven't tried to plug the rear back-plane back in after disconnecting the front backplane to check if the S130 will work with it. The front backplane is the primary necessity.

It's too bad, it would have kept things simple. I guess a PCIe raid card will have to serve the 2 rear drives if I want passthrough for the fronts and RAID1 for the rears without changing PERC controllers. Will probably get better performance too. 

Thanks!

No Events found!