Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 13th, 2011 10:00

Dell Poweredge R710 Disk Error

Hi Dell Community,

The 2 disks on my Dell Poweredge R710 are all displaying amber light after an initial green light (comes with green then changes to amber on and off)

The disks are configured for RAID 1. Though this indication has not affected the Server in terms of data loss or performance (as it is currently on, running and accessible), I want to know if there is an imminent failure which could result in data loss or performance and how to forestall such an occurance

I have actually moved the disks to another R710 server but the amber light is persistent. Again the disks were replaced with working ones but the error is still there. (They were changed individually so no data was lost).

It should be noted that same servers, configured similarly are working normal without any issues

Please Help as this is giving a lot of friction between my Manager and me.

Thank you.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 13th, 2011 10:00

I apologize to hear about the issues the server is having with the hard drives.

When a drives blinks amber and green it indicates a predicted failure of the hard drive.

Before replacing the hard drive it is best to ensure the server firmware is up to date.

And before pulling the hard drives, that they are forced offline inside of open manage or the PERC BIOS.

Condition

Drive-Status Indicator Pattern

Identify drive or preparing for removal

Blinks green two times per second

Drive ready for removal

Off

Drive predicted failure

Blinks green, amber, and off

Drive failed

Blinks amber four times per second

Drive rebuilding

Blinks green slowly

Drive online

Steady green

Rebuild aborted

Blinks green three seconds, amber three seconds, and off six seconds

support.dell.com/.../HOM.pdf

Page 19

Keep us updated,

Thanks.

1 Message

April 29th, 2016 09:00

Hey Martin,

I am having this same issue.  I know it was a long time ago, but what did you do to resolve?  Update the firmware?

Thanks,

No Events found!