Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2016 04:00

Dell R410 bypass RAID controller. Maximum possible read/write speeds for SSD drive

Hi There,

I've just purchased a used R410 to setup in my office.

The server has 2x 400GB SAS drives and I purchased an additional 180GB SSD Intel 520 to install the operating system. The SAS drives would be used for network storage and their read/write speed isn't a consideration. 

After installing the OS, I am getting around 150MB/S read/write speeds for both the SAS and SSD drives.

RAID is not a requirement here, but maximum read/write speed for the SSD Drive is essential.

As i understand the RAID config runs at the slowest drive speed, would that be reflected on the SSD drive?

My solution is to find out if  it is possible to break up the RAID config, run the 2x SAS drives as single SCSI drives. Would that then release maximum speed for the SSD drive or would it still be limited? 

What's the best way to get the maximum possible read/write speeds on my SSD?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 08:00

If you are using desktop/laptop SSD's, then they may not know how to properly negotiate speed or communicate with the controller for maximum speed. Some SSD's work better than others when put in a server.

Which controller are you using?

October 3rd, 2016 19:00

Thanks for your reply.

At boot it comes up with Dell SAS 6 Host Bus Adapter. 

On the command line:  lspci -vv | grep -i raid

Subsystem: Dell SAS 6/iR Integrated Blades RAID Controller

My OS is Ubuntu 16.04.1

Cheers

No Events found!