Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

23 Posts

May 7th, 2020 14:00

Dell R620 Cachecade SSD drive does not have any activity at all ?

Dear All , 

I am quite new to this server stuff so please be patient with me , Thank you 

I have a raid 6 with 4 X 5TB drives on my R620 dell server (and a few other raids beyond that particular raid 6)  , 

In order to increase performance, because my virtualized windows server 2016 is running very slow , I insted an SSD of 250GB as a cachecade on the dell R620 with RAID controller model  PERC H710 Mini 

so I still haven't seen any performance boost or any difference whatsoever , what I am doing wrong ? I set the drive as cachecade from the boot menu though the DOS like interface prior to boot , 

are there any other things I should do ? 

and lastly should I upgrade to a better raid card with 1GB of RAM ? will that help ? 
Thank you in advance 

• 

3.4K Posts

May 7th, 2020 19:00

Hi,

Have you access into your RAID controller H710 and configure the cachecade virtual disk? Here the controller manual for your reference to create it. https://dell.to/2LbNAmM

23 Posts

May 8th, 2020 00:00

Dear Sir , @DELL-Joey C 

yes I did setup my SSD as Cache and indeed I did create the virtual disk that is named Cache from the Raid controller setup screen as per the manual you send me (you can see at the attached picture)

Thank you in advance 

Edge_Ripper_0-1588923605335.png

• 

3.4K Posts

May 8th, 2020 02:00

Hi,

I'm not very sure of your setup and configurations for cachecade performance. 

Before hand, in the RAID controller setup, are you able to see the cachecade disk group? If yes, the controller is setup correctly and perform as intended. You may not see significant differences until the controller calculates file access frequency. 

Reference: https://dell.to/2Ld6bPc

Also, you mentioned about your virtualized Windows server, so are you using ESXi as your virtualization? If yes, I saw some articles about creating cachecade in ESXi. Probably you might want to look at it. 

23 Posts

May 8th, 2020 04:00

Dear Sir , @DELL-Joey C 

yes the drive is set as cachecade disk group so I presume its all okay , 

"Also, you mentioned about your virtualized Windows server, so are you using ESXi as your virtualization? If yes, I saw some articles about creating cachecade in ESXi. Probably you might want to look at it. "
Yes I am using ESXI  6.5  for virtualization , 

I didn't find anything If you can post it here I would be grateful , 

although I will look again , 

also I will install this 

Dell EMC iDRAC Service Module (VIB) for ESXi 6.5 U2

I hope this will bring some help to the server regarding emptying the flash faster ? 

also should I consider moving to a Bigger RAM RAID card with 1GB vs 512GB ? will that help ? 

Thank you in advance 

p.s : before I have 4 drives of 5TB at RAID 0 and of course the performance was off the roof but 1 drive died or the raid crashed and everything was lost but it was a nice experiment but I went the safe route this time with RAID 6 although I am paying the price of performance over safety and redundancy 

• 

3.4K Posts

May 11th, 2020 03:00

Hi, 

If the settings are in cachecade disk group, it should be good to go.

About the ESXi cachecade setting, I don't think it would fit your situation, but I saw this video: https://dell.to/35R17JK 

Dell EMC iDRAC Service Module (VIB), will not help on data transfer conditions as you want it to be intended to do. iDRAC is only for monitoring purpose only. A bigger memory RAID card, would help on data accessibility and speed. 

No Events found!