Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2008 03:00

Disk Config on PE1900 PERC 5/i

Hi,

Over the weekend we did a hard disk upgrade to a clients PowerEdge 1900. The original config was 2x 750GB drives setup as a RAID1 mirror. However they got to the point where there was less than 1GB free on the C: (system/boot) partition, and only 10GB free on their D: (data) partition. So we recommended installing 3x new 750GB ives, configured as a RAID5 array, move the data over from the old data partition to the new RAID5 array, then expand the system/boot partition to 50 or 100GB on the original mirrored drives.

However, when I got on site and took a look at the server on Saturday, I found that one of the mirrored drives had failed, leaving only the 1 drive working. I also found that, contrary to what our Dell account manager had told me, there was only 1 connector on the PERC 5i adaptor (4 way Foxconn SATA), with only 4 SATA cables connected, so I wouldn't be able to fit the 2 mirrored drives plus 3 RAID5 drives until I got a new connector. 

As our biggest job was moving 730GBs worth of data from the old drive to the new RAID5 array, I decided to pull the failed drive out (was on cable HDD1), leaving the working drive on cable HDD0, then connected the 3 new drives to HDD1, HDD2 & HDD3. I booted the server, went into the PERC 5 BIOS, and configured the new RAID5 array, initialised it, rebooted, and logged into Windows (2003 server). I was then able to run a restore from Friday's backup to the new array.

However, I still need to install a replacement for the failed mirror drive, (should be covered under warranty) but I have a few questions. Firstly, can I connect the replacement drive to a new connector (it'll be on the same PERC adaptor, but there is another socket for a second foxconn connector), or should it be on the same connector? Should I spread the arrays over the 2 connectors i.e. RAID1 mirred system/boot on the first connector (HDD0 & HDD1) and the RAID5 array on the second connector (HDD4, HDD5 & HDD6), or does it not matter as it is the same raid adaptor. If I do need to put the replacement mirrored drive back on HDD1, how easy is it to move/reestablish the raid5 array to different cables?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Ben

No Responses!
No Events found!