Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 27th, 2020 14:00

H330 + T140 HDD expansion

I recently bought a Dell T140 and running Unraid loving the server and specced up to 32gb ram and a E-2146G Xeon the performance is excellent for my needs.

My only issue is that the PERC H330 that came with the server has the controller leads for 4 SATA drives it’s a 4 bay server so makes sense but I was hoping I could get another cable to extend this to another 4 SATA drives. Does anyone know if this is possible or is 4 the max for the raid controller?

The cable part number is OKFXNG but seems to be non existent online to purchase. As the card has two controllers, a & b I was hoping I could plug another cable into controller b to get a couple more drives squeezed in, I’m not sure whether this is possible or whether the card would require more power from the motherboard. 

• 

790 Posts

May 29th, 2020 01:00

No, you need to think about a solution to get the power somehow. Maybe a Y-cable will do. As mentioned the system is not designed to be used with more than 4 drives, that is why there is no additional power connector -.-

You need to modify it a bit

Hopefully the PSU is powerful enough to run all the components - well but SSDs do not consume that much power, as we know

• 

790 Posts

May 28th, 2020 03:00

Hi Foordy,

good choice, I like the T140 too.

The H330 can run up to 8 drives. You need the cable again, try searching for this:

"dell KFXNG"

But I don't know where you want to put the additional drives ^^ This chassis/system is designed for up to 4 drives. 

I don't like the term: "get a couple more drives squeezed in" - but this is your decision

Best regards,
Stefan

7 Posts

May 28th, 2020 13:00

Thanks Stefan, 

I've managed to find a few cables now after your post, I did just have one concern which is the 6 pin connector, I believe my T140 Motherboard only has one port on the board so buying a second cable would this still requite extra power or do you know whether this would pickup the drives OK without this?

I appreciate the drive situation and 'squeezing' is not the most ideal but with a couple of SSDs which can be hidden away slightly and no concerns with heat I think it'll be OK but definitely not desirable. 

1 Rookie

• 

63 Posts

July 10th, 2021 14:00

Hi,

I might have done just that: I wanted more than than 4 drives in my T140 so I did this:

- I bought two T140 SAS 4x1 cables on ebay (in China) so I still had the one which came with the machine.

- Since there are two SFF SAS connectors on the H730P, no need to change anything here.

- I found 4 nice casters to hold 2 x 2.5SSDs in a 3.5 bay.

- For the PCIe power connector, I had to use a soldering iron to weld the 4 x 2 connectors together.

I figured that the T140 could power 4 x 3.5HDDs and that 8 x 2.5 SSD's would probably be lower wattage anyway.

I've posted pictures on servethehome.net.

My 4 SATA SSDs used to show up as LUNs 0,1,2,3. Now they're LUNs 0,1,4,5 

Good luck,

Vincent

No Events found!