Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2017 07:00

H700 replaced wrong drive

One of the hot swap drives was flashing so I got a new one.  During boot I went into configuration then put in the new drive.  It was SUPPOSED to go into a raid 10 volume.  Somehow within drive configuration I replaced one of the raid 1 internal 280gb drives that are my OS with this new 600gb that should be my SQL files.  Now that working 280 is a spare but I can't get it to replace the 600 even though the volume is still set to 280 with no available space.  How do I get my 2 internal 280s back together?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 28th, 2017 09:00

When you have multiple volumes with the same drive type but different sizes, setting a Global Hot Spare tells the drive to rebuild into any available VD. You need to set them as Dedicated Hot Spares to rebuild into a specific VD. For example, set your 300GB disk as a Dedicated Hot Spare assigned to the RAID 1, then offline/replace the 600GB drive to start the 300GB disk rebuilding. Then you can set the 600GB disk as a Dedicated Hot Spare for the RAID 10 VD. Global is assigned on the Physical Disks page, Dedicated is assigned on the Virtual Disks page in OpenManage.

Also remember to always swap hot-swap drives "hot" ... don't power down to replace hot-swappable drives.

January 4th, 2018 08:00

When I set the 600 to offline, where will the data to rebuild come from to replace the 300?  I am trying NOT to test my backup system's bare metal restore

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 4th, 2018 11:00

When I set the 600 to offline, where will the data to rebuild come from to replace the 300?

From the other 300GB drive in the RAID 1. You said it was a RAID 1 (mirror), correct? It will re-mirror the contents of the remaining RAID 1 disk to the new one.

January 4th, 2018 12:00

I realized that after I typed it up.  It's rebuilding now (fingers crossed)  System didn't like me making the 300 global spare, because it couldn't cover ALL the drives in size, and gave an error:Unknown.  I was still able to go into the R1 set, then select the 300 as that's specific spare, and offline the 600.

Once that gets done, then I can try to get the foreign-listed other 600GB drive online, then work on getting the R10 all figured out.

No Events found!