Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2012 11:00

HDD not showing

Just got a PE 1950. 2 HD (seagate - 73GB each). One is not showing capacity in the BIOS menu. It does say "Seagate" so I assume it recognized the disk.

The green light is flashing for the bad disk. The seller said he checked that both disks are fine before shipping

Is there something we can upgrade? FW?

Another thing is that I cannot see a RAID controller. Tried F2, F11, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-R...nothing

Any help would be appreciated

Joel

2 Posts

June 26th, 2012 12:00

the drives are seagate

the 32-bit Diagnostics is a exe file - I guess I need to install windows first (?)

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 26th, 2012 12:00

"Another thing is that I cannot see a RAID controller. Tried F2, F11, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-R...nothing"

The SAS 5/i is not a RAID controller - it is a SAS non-RAID controller/HBA only.

If this is a Dell drive, you might be able to update the firmware (if a newer version is available), but I doubt it will fix your issue.  If all information is not available for a drive, that is usually an indicator that the drive (or backplane/cable) is bad.  If you connect it to connector 0, is it recoqnized there?

I would recommend booting to the 32-bit Diagnostics to test the drive (in both slots if necessary), then if it fails, you can go to the seller with some hard evidence that it is indeed not "fine":

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 26th, 2012 13:00

Dell does not make drives.  Manufacturers such as Seagate and Fujitsu make them FOR Dell with optimized firmware to work with the dozens of configurable settings on Dell controllers.  Using generic/retail drives, you cannot update the firmware using Dell tools, as the firmware is not interchangeable/compatible.

The 32-bit Diagnostics EXE will CREATE the bootable diagnostics utility and burn it to CD (or USB).  You simply need to run it on any Windows system to create the utility, then boot to that utility on the server.

No Events found!