Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2011 23:00

Hard Disks Not Detected After Removing RAID 1.

I recently purchased a DELL Power Edge R610 Server two 600 GB SAS disks.

The disk was configured in hardware RAID 1.

As I do not need the RAID configuration I removed the RAID configuration. 

While installing an OS the Hard Disks are not detected.

Please do i have to change controllers to a non-raid supported one or i can used the RAID controller it came with?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 6th, 2011 07:00

Ok, so there are two things that can be tried here.

1. Enter the F2 BIOS, and go to integrated devices and disable the integrated RAID controller. After it is disabled it should just be in a SCSI mode and run the drives individually.

2. If that does not work, then enable the controller, and then proceed to create a RAID 0 on each of the drives you want to be individual.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

September 6th, 2011 08:00

You will need to create a single-disk RAID 0 for each drive to use them individually, as the PERC 6 does NOT support non-RAID.  Every drive connected to it MUST be configured on it before it will be available to the OS.

Once RAID is configured, you may need drivers to load in order for the OS setup to see the disks you have configured.

What OS are you trying to install?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 6th, 2011 06:00

Sorry to hear about your issue installing the OS, there could be a couple things going on here, and we need some more information.

What RAID controller are you using? Depending on which RAID controller you have, it may or may not support a non RAID mode.

How did you remove the RAID configuration? Did you unplug the hard drives and bypass the RAID controller, or enter the RAID controller BIOS and delete the array manually? If you deleted the array, did you make any other changes after that?

What OS are you installing? Some operating systems need drivers loaded to communicate with the hardware and see the drives.

Drivers can be downloaded from here:

support.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

Keep us updated,

Thanks.

3 Posts

September 6th, 2011 07:00

I am using the PERC 6/iR Controller.

I deleted the RAID Array manually form the BIOS Setting.

No I did not perform any other changes after that.

3 Posts

September 6th, 2011 09:00

I finally decided to go with a RAID 0 configuration.

Thanks for your assistance DELL-Daniel Co and theflash.

Cheers

No Events found!