Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2016 10:00

Help needed with Two new HHD's for the RAID 1 PERC 6/i Integrated Controller

We have a customer that has an out of warranty PowerEdge T610. On the Dell OpenManage Server Admin I can see that it can see my RAID 1 PERC 6/i Integrated Controller. On one of the controllers we have a RAID 5 that has 4 drives dedicated to a data store (D Drive), on the RAID 1 we have two drives dedicated to the Windows SBS 2008 OS (C drive).

When looking at the server, I have physical disks located in:

Our D drive Datastore:

• 0:0:0
  • 0:0:1
  • 0:0:2
  • 0:0:3

Our C drive is located in:

• 1:0:4
  • 1:0:5

We just added two new drives to the RAID 1 based on the conversation we had with Dell, they recommended that we can try moving some data from C to the new larger drives. When in Dell Open Manage looking at the physical disks on Controller PERC 6/i Integrated I can see that it's detected the two new 500GB SATA drives that the client installed. However the available tasks don't allow me to either format them for use as they are not showing up in Computer Management as a single drive that is available for use. Is there something we're totally missing here? 

Regarding the new drives located here:

• 1:0:6
  • 1:0:7

My options for the available tasks are as follows:

• Blink
  • Unblink
  • Assign Global Hot Spare
  • Clear ...

I've already cleared them once as I didn't know if they needed to be formated to be recognized, but within Computer Management's Disk Management they don't even show up at all. I thought that I would have an "Online" task that I could assign to the drives so that perhaps they show up to start using the new HHD's for storage.

Regarding the current firmware for the controller,

• Firmware Version: 6.2.0-0013 
  • Driver Version: 2.24.00.64
  • Storport Driver Version: 6.0.6002.18005

I've attached a PDF to this post to show the details on the drives. Sorry for the small print, but it's a PDF so you should be able to zoom in. Any assistance regarding why the drives as not being detected in Disk Management would be absolutely awesome. :)

- Digity

1 Attachment

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2016 20:00

The PERC doesn't support non-RAID ... you can't just throw drives in and use them. You will need to configure and initialize a new RAID array with the drives. It is not a "physical disk" task, so in OMSA, go to the Virtual Disks page and click on the new VD wizard link at the top of the page to create a new VD from the OS.

2 Posts

January 14th, 2016 10:00

Duplicate Post - (Edited)

No Events found!