Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2021 11:00

How do I temporarily take a virtual disk offline without compromising data integrity on a Dell PERC H730p controller?

We have a Dell R740 which has been running Windows Server 2012 R2 for a while and we would like to make a fresh install and upgrade to Windows Server 2019 Standard.

The there are 4 disks on the server, one of which runs on JBOD mode and is the one the OS is installed on (disk "C:\"), and the other 3 are are members of a virtual disk set up as a RAID5 array (disk "D:\").

My problem is that I don't want to erase the contents of the second virtual disk by mistake during OS installation so I would like to take it offline temporarily, as can be done on many modern BIOSes. I have made that mistake before and I don't want to go through the pain and suffering again.

So my question is: How do I temporarily take a virtual disk offline without compromising data integrity on a Dell PERC H730p controller?

I checked the manual but have not been able to find anything about taking disks offline temporarily. Is there a way or will I just have to be extra careful during installation?

• 

4.1K Posts

July 26th, 2021 19:00

Hi, thanks for choosing Dell.

How do I temporarily take a virtual disk offline without compromising data integrity on a Dell PERC H730p controller?

• I’m afraid this is not allowed. Not only this is impossible but also this will put data at risk, hence there isn’t guidance nor a manual existing for this.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 28th, 2021 08:00

Well, caution is your best option here. When you install Windows, it will ask which disk to install to ... as long as you select the correct disk (size, unpartitioned, etc.), then it should not be an issue. The only way to do what you are asking is to power down the server and remove the disks and delete that VD, then after the install, you power down, put the disks back in, import the foreign configuration.

This carries some risk, and I would advise against it.

Either way, make sure you have a backup you can turn to in the event something happens.

No Events found!