Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 21st, 2018 13:00

How to increase storage capacity on PERC h710 Raid 1 array by replacing drives, not adding drives

I never had the chance to increase the storage capacity of an existing raid array up until now so I’m quite new at this process. Please excuse my noob questions.

I need to increase the storage capacity of a raid 1 array on a PowerEdge T420 with a PERC H710 controller. All other bays are used with other raid arrays, but the one in question consists of two 4TB (ST4000NM0024-1HT178) drives and one 4TB dedicated spare and will be hopefully upgrading to 8TB (ST8000NM0055) drives.

My question is, how can I (if possible) upgrade/replace the existing drives to higher capacity ones? After doing some research it seems possible to do this using the reconfigure option in OMSA(?) without having to recreate the raid array and restoring the data, though everything I found online was about expanding the storage capacity by adding drives to an array and not replacing the existing ones.

Can anyone confirm that what I would like to do is possible with the given hardware/configuration?  if so, does it matter which of the three (including the spare) should re replaced first? If this is doable, I'm guessing I should replace one of the mirror drives first and wait for the rebuild process to finish before moving onto the next mirror drive and then the spare(?)

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can provide a detailed (step by step) solution to this problem if possible.

Also, can anyone confirm that the H710, with the latest firmware, supports the 8TB drive i plan to use?

Thanks in advance.

• 

8.7K Posts

May 21st, 2018 14:00

Hi,

You can try replacing one drive with a larger drive, rebuilding, then replacing the other drive, letting it rebuild. Then delete the array and recreate it without initializing and you should have a larger array without needing to reinstall. Do a backup before in case it doesn’t work.

1 Message

November 15th, 2020 11:00

I was wondering how it went replacing drives to increase storage. I am considering this as well

4 Operator

• 

2.7K Posts

November 16th, 2020 01:00

Hello @cbris119,

I think your question goes to the original post owner. However this thread is 2 years old... not sure if he will reply.

If you need help, please, don't hesitate to ask the question again with the specific information of your hardware.

Regards.

No Events found!