Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2013 06:00

How to know physical slot of the hard drive 0:0:3 ?

Hello,

From the dell management consol i know that the hard drive 0:0:3 must be replaced. but how to know in with physical slot this hard drive is ??

here the representation of my front panel (poweredge with 8 hard drive). each number represent a slot

1 2 3 4

5 6 7 8

Thanks you by advance

stéphane 

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 9th, 2013 07:00

Are the slots physically labeled on the server chassis?  Normally, they would be labeled 0-7, not 1-8.  OpenManage should list them as 0-7 as well.  In OMSA, 0:3 would be the fourth disk, so if the chassis really is labeled 1-8, then it would be disk 4; but if the chassis is labeled 0-7, then it would be disk 3 (the fourth one).

In OMSA, you can also select Blink from the dropdown menu for disk 0:3 on the Physical Disks screen to be sure you have the right one.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 9th, 2013 10:00

Which server is this?

"you mean the last disk in the top row ?"

I don't know.  If you arbitrarily numbered them 1-4 across the top, then there is no way to tell if that is how they are numbered on the backplane.  They may also be 1,3,5,7 across the top.

"not understand, how blink will help me ?"

Try it and you will see.  Blinking the drive does exactly that ... it blinks the drive so you know which one it is.

24 Posts

January 9th, 2013 10:00

>Are the slots physically labeled on the server chassis?  

unfortunatly no :(

> so if the chassis really is labeled 1-8, then it would be disk 4

you mean the last disk in the top row ?

>In OMSA, you can also select Blink from the dropdown menu for disk 0:3 on the Physical Disks screen to be sure you >have the right one.

not understand, how blink will help me ?

thanks theFlash !

January 11th, 2018 17:00

Page 20 here http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/PowerEdgeR510_Technical_Guidebook%5B1%5D.pdf

Zoom in and you can see the bay numbers are

0 2 4 6

1 3 5 7

12 Posts

January 19th, 2018 07:00

We are running into a similar issue. The front panel is saying there is a fault with Drive 2 in Bay 1 on a poweredge R320 with four drives. The third drive from the left has a blinking orange indicator. I am guessing this might be the correct drive if the system is broken into two bays of two drives each (bay 0 and bay 1) but the drives are numbered from 0 to 3. I just wanted to confirm the blinking orange indicator corresponds with the correct drive mentioned in the fault display.

No Events found!