Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2007 08:00

Install Win2003 with PERC5/i RAID controller without Floppy drive

I want to re-install Windows 2003 on a PowerEdge 1950 server with a PERC5/i RAID controller.

During the installation of Win2003, I press the "F6" button to install a driver from my PERC5/i RAID controller card, but the server is looking for a floppy drive to get the driver.
Problem is that there is no floppy drive in my PowerEgde 1950 server.

Someone who has a solution?

Thanks a lot.

Gorrit Vercauteren
CynopCis (Belgium)

65 Posts

October 9th, 2007 14:00

The first and simplest solution would be to use a floppy. If you have an external USB floppy drive. This will work.
Another simple option is to install your OS using the Dell Server Assistant CD. This is one of the cds that came with your server. It's labeled "Install and server management".

Dell has developed a couple of other work arounds.
You can either create a mass storage CD to preload the drivers, or you can prepare a USB flash drive to preload the drivers.

To prepare a USB flash drive, use this tool:

The most difficult solution is to create a mass storage CD.
This has a few pieces that are difficult to post on the forum. If you'd like info on this, please send me your email address and I'll send instructions.

I hope that helps.

884 Posts

October 9th, 2007 23:00

I always found that the mass storage CD as a better success rate than the USB flash drive option.

2 Posts

October 10th, 2007 06:00

Tnx for your help.

I found nLite, a program to slip stream the Windows 2003 CD-ROM and added the drivers of the PERC5/i RAID controller.

65 Posts

October 10th, 2007 17:00

To recognize your USB floppy drive from the F6 menu, you'll want to change a setting in system BIOS. Boot to your BIOS by pressing F2 as your system boots up. In the menu, you'll see an option for USB Flash drive emulation type. Change this to floppy. This will allow your USB floppy to be detected as a floppy. As for the mass storage cd, I'll try to get one of my internal Dell contacts to email you the OFT with instruction on creating it. I hope that helps. -Idaho Joe

2 Posts

I have a Similar Problem except it is on a 2950.

I have a USB Floppy and I have tried attaching it to both the Front and Rear USB Ports and when I am prompted to insert the Driver disk and press enter, it acts as if the floppy is not there. I don't know if there is a Bios Setting or what but any help would be appreciated. also I would like the info on creating the Mass Storage driver cd since we are creating a golden image Via Ghost 11 to Send to Dell

2 Posts

I have a Similar Problem except it is on a 2950.

I have a USB Floppy and I have tried attaching it to both the Front and Rear USB Ports and when I am prompted to insert the Driver disk and press enter, it acts as if the floppy is not there. I don't know if there is a Bios Setting or what but any help would be appreciated. also I would like the info on creating the Mass Storage driver cd since we are creating a golden image Via Ghost 11 to Send to Dell.

Here is my Email rhagge@asbhawaii.com

667 Posts

October 17th, 2007 02:00

If you can't find your Server Installation CD, you can download an .iso image here.  This is great for installing Windows.  It makes the process painless and you don't have to do all the slipstreaming or USB pen drive work.

3 Posts

March 6th, 2011 15:00

I was running into the same issue, I used the USB Flash Drive F6 tool and got into the windows setup, however am now at an impass where it has gone through partitioning and everything and now asks me to "Insert the disk labeled: DELL PERC5 and PERC6/CERC6 RAID Controller Driver (Server 2003 32 bit) into drive A:    Press ENTER when ready." nothing happens when I press enter. I have configured the BIOS as specified, etc. What could be the problem here? Thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 6th, 2011 15:00

What system are you working on?
What RAID controller do you have?
What OS/Service Pack are you installing?
What driver file are you using?

I could assume a whole lot of things if I read this 4-year-old thread, but I'd rather do it once and do it right, from the get-go.

3 Posts

March 6th, 2011 16:00

Ya good point, Dell Poweredge 2950, with a PERC 5/i Raid Control, Trying to boot Windows Server 2003 and I'm using the Dell Multi Device A07 R211422 - the only one available on the downloads page. Thanks!

3 Posts

March 6th, 2011 18:00

Ill give it a try and keep you posted! Thanks for your time and help!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Good luck!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

The USB Key Prep F6 Utility is handy ... when it works.  However, it's a bit flaky, and the message you're getting is pretty normal for when it doesn' work.  Allow me to suggest some alternatives:

1)  nliteOS.com.  This is a utility that can integrate drivers and/or service packs (among other things) into your installation media, creating a new CD from which to install.  Does the same thing as the key prep utility, but lots more reliable, easier to use, and has much more functionality.  Here are some tips:

• Use the driver you used (ftp://ftp.dell.com/sas-raid/DELL_MULTI-DEVICE_A07_R211422.exe - extracted, of course)
  • In nLite, choose Multiple Driver files, select the folder, select all drivers presented, then choose TextMode.
  • You may need to update your PERC firmware (and system BIOS/ESM), as the driver usually requires a minimum firmware.
  • You may need Service Pack 2 on your media for the driver to work properly - you can use nLite for that too.

2)  SBUU.  Systems Build and Update Utility (SBUU) is a utility used  to simplify installation of a supported OS.  You simply boot to it, select Install OS, and it will help you configure RAID and ask you everything it needs to know about how you want your OS installed (boot partition size, etc.).  It also contains all the drivers needed for your system, installing them as it goes, so that when it's done, there is no need to update any drivers.  Some tips:

• See download link below.
  • Requires Service Pack 2 (see nLite above).
  • May require system firmware to be updated (BIOS, ESM, RAID).
  • Often does not work with VL media downloaded from Microsoft's eopen website.
  • Uncheck the box to install Server Administrator during the setup - this is not on this disk and can be installed later.

SBUU:

1 Message

December 29th, 2011 11:00

Dell makes a tool that allows for installing Windows with Additional Drivers that are pulled from a USB Key.

Here is the utility: www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

You install the utility, download the RAID (or whatever) drivers that you need for the Windows install, extract the drivers to C:\Program Files\Dell\USBKeyPrepF6\Files, run the utility (which is just a couple clicks).

As a note, make sure you clear out the text DELLFLASH when running the tool.  Otherwise it doesn't seem to work.

As a second note, the utility blows away your flash USB Key contents and partitions the flash drive in a strange way.  I have found that you can recover your USB Key via Disk Management in Windows.  There might be a more glamorous way too.

15 Posts

January 8th, 2012 21:00

Hey!

Just wanted to say thanks to theflash1932 for your insight.

I have had pretty decent luck up until recently using the Dell F6 USB Key Prep Utility, and came across this thread while trying to address the same issue that tigerjr had. My situation is a bit different this time in that I have to install Windows XP on a Windows 7 equipped (and only supported) Dell Vostro 460. BSOD on install with no recognition of the SATA/AHCI Raid controller. Found the Intel H67 chipset F6 driver on MSI's website:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/H67MA-E35--B3-.html#/?div=Driver&os=XP%2032

but hung using the Dell floppy USB emaulation the same spot tigerjr did. You were spot on with the nlite driver slipstream - could not have been easier!
I figured I'd post this as there were a lot of queries for an XP install on a Vostro 460 with NO answers at the time I found this thread.

Thanks! :emotion-21:

No Events found!