Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 24th, 2015 13:00

Install of H700 controller in dell R610

I asked this question on serverfault.com but so far haven't got a definitive answer.

We have just brought a refurbished dell R610 2 X 6 Core X5650, 96G Ram, SAS 6ir Raid Controller, 2 X Fujitsu MBC2073RC 2.5-Inch 15K 73GB SAS Hard Drive. We are going to also be installing additional drives:

• 2 X Intel 730 2.5-Inch 480 GB SSD's SSDSC2BP480G4R5
  • 2 X Samsung Momentus SpinPoint ST2000LM003 2TB 2.5"

I also separately brought a refurbished H700 Raid controller to use rather than the SAS 6ir card. It is the integrated H700 and looks like this:

How do I install this? I have read several of the manuals looking for explicit instructions (Page 111 of the R610 owners manual is not totally clear to me...) Eg should I unscrew the metal pci slot cover on the left hand side of this card and then directly replace the "integrated" SAS6ir card? Or should this card go in a separate pcie slot? (I am not sure the cables will reach and I am not sure about cable management) Does anyone have any pictures of an installed H700 and the PERC battery installed in a R610?

Thanks!

Jason

• 

6.2K Posts

January 25th, 2015 09:00

is the only difference between the integrated adapter version and the internal version the metal pcie plate?

No, the main difference between integrated and adapter is the firmware. They are designed to work in the specified slot type. The integrated storage slot is a PCIe slot, but it does not work the same as a normal PCIe slot.

• 

6.2K Posts

January 24th, 2015 15:00

Hello Jason

It is the integrated H700 and looks like this

That is not the integrated version of the H700. According to that picture the part number is W56W0. That is the adapter version of the card. The "i" on the SAS6/iR and H700i stands for "internal" not "integrated". If a card is the integrated version then it should state integrated, intg, or something similar somewhere in the item description.

The adapter version is not supported on the R610. You can review the compatibility matrix here. The R610 is listed under the Legacy Support Matrix tab:

http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/dell-raid-controllers

The H700 is an x8 PCIe card. Slots 1,2 are x8 PCIe slots, so if the card will physically fit into either of those slot areas then you might be able to get it to work.

Thanks

14 Posts

January 24th, 2015 18:00

Ahhh.... Thanks and now this might sound like a really stupid question, but is the only difference between the integrated adapter version and the internal version the metal pcie plate? Ie if I just unscrewed that slot plate / piece of metal on the left hand side of the card, would I be transforming an integrated adapter version card into an internal version card?

Or is the pin-out on the connector totally different? From a photo the form factor of the card looks almost identical. We can see the SAS6ir behind the H700 and the H700 just laid on top of it to see the pin out / form factor...

See:

14 Posts

January 26th, 2015 06:00

No, the main difference between integrated and adapter is the firmware. They are designed to work in the specified slot type. The integrated storage slot is a PCIe slot, but it does not work the same as a normal PCIe slot.

Is it then possible to flash the adapter card version, if the only difference is a firmware difference?

Or would it just be better to go ahead and order another card, only this time ensure it is the integrated one and not the adaptor one...?

• 

6.2K Posts

January 28th, 2015 09:00

Is it then possible to flash the adapter card version, if the only difference is a firmware difference?

Or would it just be better to go ahead and order another card, only this time ensure it is the integrated one and not the adaptor one...?

I would suggest that you purchase the correct card. Our firmware is our intellectual property, and we do not allow it to be installed on devices that it is not intended for.

Thanks

No Events found!