Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2010 11:00

Looking for HDD recommendation

Hello.

We have a Dell Poweredge 800 with two Seagate Barracuda ST380013AS SATA drives.  Connected to motherboard with blue SATA cable in SATA 0 and SATA 1.

We are considering buying a Western Digital 1TB SATA driveWD10EARS or a WD1002FBYS.

Will they work in our system?

Any other recommendations for HDD appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

19 Posts

May 20th, 2010 14:00

Does anybody have any idea about this?

I contacted tech support.  They don't seem to know what it is i want.  They gave me part numbers that i can't find on Dell or on the internet.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 20th, 2010 21:00

Can I ask why you are so set on those WD drives?  Seems like from what I can find that those aren't the "best deals in town", unless there is some reason you need them.  If you are just connecting them to the motherboard, there should not be an issue.  What part numbers did Dell give you?

19 Posts

May 21st, 2010 13:00

Hello Flash.

I tried asking this question in the Seagate forum and somebody recommended some Seagate drives, but then another replier said some bad things about Seagate drive reliability.

Since posting my question here i have realized that all hardware has some kind of problem or issue, even WD.  Also, I did ask for recommendations for other drives in my original post.

Also, i found out that our motherboard will not handle a 1TB drive.  The largest is 500MB.

Dell recommended a part number HN649 description 500GB SATA ES 3.5 7.2K Enterprise Only Seagate Galaxy.  There is no part number HN649 anywhere on Dell's site and Seagate has no idea of what a Galaxy drive is.

So, can you recommend any 500MB SATA drives?

Thanks,
Tony

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2010 08:00

HN649 looks to be a valid part number, as you can buy it on several reputable sites.  The Galaxy is probably a Seagate drive made FOR Dell, and supported only by Dell, which is why Seagate would not have heard of it.  Depending on who within Dell you are buying from, Sales vs Out of Warranty, etc., they have access to different  parts, so the website may not have that part number in their stock, but the Out of Warranty group (Tech Support) or Sales may have it in their stock.  It is important to use Enterprise class drives with Dell firmware if being used on a Dell RAID controller, but if plugged into a motherboard slot with an Intel controller, neither is required, although Enterprise class is a good choice, as they are much higher-performance drives.  I have always had good luck with Seagate, but everyone's opinions are different based on their real-world experiences with a certain brand.  The original spec sheet shows support for only 250GB drives, because they were all that Dell shipped with the 800 when it was originally released.  Other spec sheets will show 500GB, when it was the largest Dell shipped in it.  I don't see any technical reason why it would not recognize a 1TB drive.  Generally, if it supports SATA, it will see up to 2TB (except for special devices like the CERC/SATA controller), but you might check Intel's site for SATA support for drives that size on a E7xxx chipset.

No Events found!