Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2014 11:00

Mixed spindle speed on Perc 6i controller

I have two SAS 146GB 15k drives configured as RAID 1.  I want to add two SAS 146GB 10k drives and reconfigure as RAID 6.  Am I going to have any problems because of the different spindle speeds?  The original RAID 1 is the boot volume and is on connector 0.  The two additional drives are also on connector 0.  Connector 1 has two SAS 2TB WD-RE drives working @7.2k in a RAID 1 configuration and are working fine.

I already have the new drives installed and they are working fine and I'm now ready to reconfigure to RAID 6.

Questions:

1)  I expect that the Perc 6i has already slowed to the 10k speed for I/O but I am not sure.  Is mixing the spindle speeds going to cause any other problems beside the slowdown in access?

2)  Before I reconfigure the RAID should I be doing anything special, such as running a consistency check first on all of the drives?

3)  Can this be done on a working system? (After a full backup, of course!)

4)  Is there anything else I should know before doing this?

Thanks

6 Posts

January 26th, 2014 12:00

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

January 26th, 2014 14:00

:)

1. The speed of the 15K drives will ONLY be affected if you add 10K drives in an array with the 15K drives.  If not configured yet, then the RAID 1 should still be treating the drives with 15K access.

2. Ideally, you should run diagnostics to make sure drives are healthy, update firmware and drivers, and run a consistency check before doing a reconfigure.  There is "usually" no harm in skipping, but by doing the above you significantly decrease the possibility of problems during the process.

3. Yes, this can be one while the system is live, without affecting data.  There may be a moderate degradation in performance during the process, so off-hours is recommended, but it can be done either way.  A backup is always recommended before changes :)

4. ??  It is fairly straightforward.  Good luck!

No Events found!