Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 4th, 2008 20:00

NEWBIE101: how do I tell what controller I have?

Hello,

I just got a used Poweredge 1750 from a friend to work on a project. I have miimal experience with older PERC raid boards. I am trying to install the OS but need drivers for the RAID, many questions here. I've reviewed the stickys, googled and searched this forum.

1. How do I tell what SCSI backplane controller I have to download drivers? I have inputed the service tag into the website and the info for this machine is very incomplete on the config. I had this issue with other servers and I cannot get the backplane out to see model numbers on it!

2. What software do I need for RAID config at the boot level (before OS install?) There is no utility partion software and there is about 101 ISO to download with all types of management software. Very confusing on what I need.

Point me in the right direction(s) please!

Thanks.

Shawn 

6 Posts

June 4th, 2008 21:00

WarWiz,

Thanks for you comments. Regretablly the server is at my office right now so I'm talking blind but I did see the SCSI option Ctnl-A to enter management and see no reference to PERC version there! I see the 3 HDs, something like 2010 and another refernce I believe is the CD when I go into ctnl-A, there is no cntl-M on this server like my older Power Edges. So this is the config for the SCSI and not the RAID correct?

Where do I config raid for 0, 1 or 5? My other dells have on board RAM RAID control. This makes a reference to the utility partion not being there too! Since I cannot config RAID to work with the hard drives how would I even make a utilility partion assuming there is software I needed to load. Very confused here as you can see.

Also is LSI and Adaptec now the same? I see something related to LSI go down the post (if I recall correctly) and on this page

I see 101 options for LSI products (unders SCSI RAID), but nothing for Adaptec!

You state backplane driver is not critical. When I tried to load Win2K Server it couldn't find the hard drive, so I"m guessing I needed the drives...but then again I never configed RAID either!

Keep educating me please! My other Dell PowerEdges didn't need this much love, but they are almost 8 years old now. Obviously things have changed.

EDIT: I'm beginning to wonder after reading the document link you provided that since I do not see an option during post for control-m that I may not have a RAID based 1750!?!?! Additionally, I noted the link you provided for the backplane driver states SCSI non-RAID. Are you stating for your guess that my 1750 most likly doesn't have RAID then?

Message Edited by carboncow on 06-04-2008 06:01 PM
Message Edited by carboncow on 06-04-2008 06:05 PM

720 Posts

June 4th, 2008 21:00

Hi Carboncow,

Reboot the system and watch the POST messages, your RAID controller version and F/W should be displayed with a prompt to enter Ctrl A or Ctrl M to enter the controller BIOS, do so and you can configure your RAID array from within the controller BIOS, no other S/W needed. You can get the manuals once you know what's there.

The most common controller for the PE1750 was the embedded Adaptec PERC 4/Di here are the instructions for using the container configuration utility for the PERC 4/Di

Backplane driver is here but it's not critical.

Regards,

warwizard

6 Posts

June 4th, 2008 22:00

Good info, will review tomorrow and check voltage on battery.

So after reading the Perc manual I should expect to see a control-M option with an SCSI/RAID system? 

720 Posts

June 4th, 2008 22:00

Hi Carboncow,

It's possible that the system was turned off (and unplugged) so long that the CMOS battery ran out of power allowing the server's BIOS setting to go to default which has the embedded controller set to SCSI mode instead of RAID. Battery costs $1.50 at radioshack... you'll need it as every time you power off you'll lose the RAID controller, that is if the guess is correct. Go into the server BIOS and see if it gives you the option to set the controller to RAID, if it does, then don't do it yet, power off first and disconnect all the drives, just pull them out half way. Then go in and enable that RAID controller, and reboot seeing that you see it listed in POST. To test for the CMOS battery , power the system down and go get some coffee, and reboot, if it's reverted to SCSI you'll know you need to replace the battery. Once you have the new battery, and the controller happily remaining in RAID mode, then power down and install the drives, power it back up and see if the server boots into an operating system.

warwizard

720 Posts

June 5th, 2008 01:00

yes

6 Posts

June 5th, 2008 14:00

Bingo, I'll mark this one as a solution.

I will buy a battery next time I'm near radio shack, but I do believe I have a good one...it was just dead as you stated...most likly from inactivity.

After booting into bios I was able to change the controller from SCSI to raid and it survived several reboots. The cntl-m option now appears and I can see the very familar to me RAID config, yea!

Interesting that my 10 year old poweredges (some backups sitting not turned on for a year) haven 't lost power! Maybe someone just tweaked the bios on this, but I will buy a simple $1.50 battery for piece of mind.

thanks.! 

720 Posts

June 5th, 2008 14:00

Hi Carboncow,

The key point is if the systems are unplugged, they lose a trickle of power from the AC, and draw on the CMOS battery which will last only 2 to 4 weeks when the systems are unplugged.

Glad we got a fix, and you're welcome.

warwizard

No Events found!